cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 101

Re: Blocking Spam domains not working

I have just received an email from the domain accountprotection.microsoft.com, even though it already appears in my list of blocked senders (added a few days ago now, IIRC).

Having clicked on the option to 'block domain' once again, it's now appearing in my blocked senders list twice.  But if it was already there, why did I receive another email from that domain?

What is going on, BT?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 101

11 spam in my inbox this morning, all from supposedly blocked senders.

"Only" 8 in the spam folder.

Please get this fixed BT

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 101

@Keith_Beddoe 

That's all well & good IF you can remember each & every mailing list you're on which you don't want to block.

I fail to see why BT's block sender list isn't working as it should & want to know what they're doing to fix it.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 101

Try to report as spam...Then open up the spam folder and specific mail.

You will find links to other domains, perhaps. They are the ones who need blocking, not Microsoft. There’s some spoofing going on. Look again in your list of blocked senders.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 101

The spammers will be "spoofing" the email domain to make it appear to have come from one domain when in fact it has come from another.

When you block the spammers email domain all you are doing is blocking the genuine domain that the spam email purports to be from hence that other spoofed/spam emails apparently from the domain that you blocked are still getting through.

This is why some users who have blocked domains have found that the can not receive emails from gmail, microsoft etc.

See links and if you do an Internet search for "spoofed email domains" you will find out more about this.

Email spoofing - Wikipedia

Email spoofing: how attackers impersonate legitimate senders | Securelist

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 101

@gg30340 If that's the case, then what's the point of that option if it's not going to do what it purports to do?

Message 17 of 101

You would need to ask BT that however I would say that it does do what it is intended to do and that is to block genuine email and genuine domains. It will not know whether or not an email domain has been illegally spoofed.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 101

Fair enough.

But I think that highlights a need for BT to provide more sophisticated tools to enable the average user to block the SOURCE email domain (or sender) rather than the spoofed domain.  It really shouldn't be down to the user to have to examine the source email code in order to determine where it has really come from!

Message 19 of 101

Perhaps you can try sorting out the Dragon's Den junk email😃....I've blocked out all the fake domains, except that one of them is from spoofed Microsoft Security, which presents a risk, if blocked, perhaps. It's the only one I haven't managed to sort, but I have suspicions. It comes daily, so should be easy for the spam system to sort out.
Something about losing weight!
It's only junk, after all, which you can delete, or simply report as spam, and "weight" /wait.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 101

How do you find out the actual domain which these emails are coming from? The email addresses they come from may be spoofed, but where in each email is the actual domain? If we were told where to look, it may be easier to set up filters that work, because they certainly don't at the moment. 

Maybe someone could post an example so that everyone can see.

0 Ratings