cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Blocking senders in spam folder

Hi,

are you selecting multiple messages at once & trying block all of the domains?

During the last major update to BT Email we lost the ability to "select all" & then "block domain"

You have to select one message & block domain, before repeating for the next message. One at a time only these days.

I too seem to be getting a lot more spam recently. The BT spam filters are unable to cope with the new tactic of adding a large unique prefix to the domain names the spammers are using:
"1ez5342l0ndrzqo9gzd38lhyfev9md.laroutedesindes . com" so I'm getting endless spam from the laroutedesindes  domain no matter how many I've blocked previously because each one appears to be new domain due to the random prefix

Regards,

Ian

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Thanks Ian, 

I think that could be the problem. I just had one this afternoon and thought “oh, my block domain” has come back!! So, one at a time. 

I’ve got used to it now but this new email system must surely be the worst IT event of all time. Heads should have rolled but I bet they didn’t! 

thanks again. X

Message 13 of 19

With regards the emails from domains ending laroutedesindes.com, I have set a rule to discard any emails coming from domains ending laroutedesindes.com, so that SHOULD trap anything coming from those email addresses regardless of the random prefix. However, I've posted separately in another thread that a few hours later I received another scam email from another email address ending laroutedesindes.com so questioning how effective the rules really are if they don't work! I'm hoping it was just a timing issue, but only time will tell.
Message 14 of 19

Well, I've received another scam email today from an email address ending laroutedesindes.com so this particular rule I've set up clearly isn't working for some reason.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

I note that you have said that you have set up the rule as laroutedesindes.com. Have you tried setting the domain rule as @laroutedesindes.com.

I am not sure if the BT rules will accept a wild card but you could also try setting it up as @*laroutedesindes.com which if it works may overcome the spammers using multiple digits prior to laroutedesindes.com

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

I had a play around with setting rules with wildcards yesterday & had no success. It would seem BT Email does not support any of the basic wildcard characters (*,%,?) when blocking spam domains / senders.

If anyone knows of wildcards that do work, then please let us know

Also, you can't use the @ symbol when blocking a domain, just  "laroutedesindes.com" Any special characters within the domain name make it invalid. 

Ian

Message 17 of 19

@Ultraviolet13 

Thanks for that information. Fortunately I don't get bothered by much spam so I don't use rules for blocking spam email addresses or domains so I was not sure about wildcards being allowed or not in this "new" incarnation of BTMail.

Message 18 of 19

Still coming through. The latest one is from:

ly4f7kof3ihntwnfq2j5wf27we5e6wweek @ ly4f7kof3ihntwnfq2j5wf27we5e6w.laroutedesindes .com

Given that the prefix is 30 characters long & using all lowercase letters plus numbers (36 total), that would give them - wait for it:

48873677980689257489322752273774603865660850176   unique domain names!

Over four hundred and eighty-eight quattuordecillion possibilities  (Had to look that one up!)

I hope the BT blocked domains list can cope  😅

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

I have marked messages as spam and asked the system to block the sender. So why do such emails still get allowed in and are put in my spam folder. Why does the system not stop the email and send it back to sender instead of allowing it into my spam folder? If the system knows it is spam why still process it ? I find it so annoying . To whom can we report these spams to get those email addresses banned and stop unwanted rubbish ?

0 Ratings