cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Cannot create a new mailbox in the Mail app on the iPad

I have a POP3/SMTP account for the Mail app on an iPad.  The account uses the BT mail server.

The account has only the following mailboxes: Inbox, Drafts, Sent and Trash.  I would like to be able to add other mailboxes/folders to the account but, every time I try to add a new mailbox, I receive the message: “Unable to Create Mailbox. The mailbox couldn’t be created on the server.”.

My initial reaction to this message is what business is it of the mail server if I wish to create a local mailbox in the Mail app in order to store emails somewhere other than the Inbox?  But, in reality, this is probably symptomatic of the way that the Mail app is coded, which is more geared to supporting IMAP than POP3.  Still, I thought I would post the problem here in case someone can suggest a workaround from the BT point of view.

I’m just about to give up on the Mail app and look for another mail app for the iPad - one that provides better support for POP3 and allows the user to create local folders to store emails.  All suggestions are welcome.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cannot create a new mailbox in the Mail app on the iPad

By definition you cannot create folders on the server with POP3. You can however, create local folders on your device. If you are unable to, that is a problem with the app.

Are you using the BT app or the native Apple mail app on the iPad?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thank you @licquorice .  Yes, as I thought.

I'm using the Apple Mail app that comes with iOS/iPadOS.  I didn't know about the new BT  Email app, but I am not sure that I can use it because I don't know whether I am using BT's new email service.  Do you know whether the app provides good support for POP3 and allows the user to create local folders?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The BT mail app is dire and I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I'm not familiar with Apple products, but I would have thought the native mail app should support creating additional folders.

Try the Blue Mail app.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@licquorice 

Well, the native Mail app does support creating additional folders - that is, the function is there for the user to use.  But, it just doesn't seem to work with POP3.

Because I have been a user of MS Outlook on Windows desktop PCs over many years, I was thinking of looking at the Outlook app for iOS/iPadOS.  Are you familiar with the Blue Mail app? Do you know whether it is likely to satisfy my requirements?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I use Blue Mail on Android configured as IMAP. It works perfectly for me.

However, I obviously can't vouch for it's efficacy on an Apple device configured as POP3.

0 Ratings