cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Deleting emails

Go to solution

Hello. I have ended up with 70k messages in my inbox. How do I delete them all?

Thank you for assisting me in my incompetence.

Michael

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Deleting emails

Go to solution

Very slowly.

You can not delete them all at once.

Click on the box to the left of the first email you want to delete and assuming you want to delete all the emails that are below that you can either press on your keyboard  "shift" key and "PgDn" key repeatedly and it will mark all the other emails with a tick or use the "shift" key and the down arrow. This will also mark all the boxes with a tick or tick the first box you want to delete and holding the shift key move to the last email you want to delete and tick its box and release the shift key. All the emails in between should now be ticked.

If you don't all the emails that have been marked with a tick deleted you need to go down the list and untick the ones you want to keep.

Once you have done that you then click on the "Delete" button in the menu bar which should delete them on mass however if it does not work, once they have all been ticked, you should try to drag and drop them into the trash folder.

If the above is to big a task you could install an email client/app, setting it up as an IMAP account and you should be able to select and delete all the contents of the inbox and this should be synchronised with the BT servers .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you. As feared, this may take some time!

m

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Please can you advise on the app that will help to delete over 80K emails.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Any decent email app such as Bluemail will do it. You need to set it up as an IMAP account and be aware that given the number of emails that you have it will take sometime to synchronise before you will be able to delete them.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be an option, I don’t even have the option to delete never mind shift etc. Most of the time the whole page freezes and I have to log out of my IPhone . It’s a terrible app all round hope they improve it soon 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

What doesn't seem to be an option?

Which app are you referring to?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
In the old format, I could highlight 50 emails in trash and press 'delete' and they would all disappear. Now all I can do is highlight six emails at a time which is going to take forever to get rid of all my trash. I do wish BT would stop trying to pretend that this new email format is OK and that we are all idiots. It is rubbish, bring back the old version...
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

You are quite right 

I am considering to go to give up this app and go elsewhere 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@WilliamJames1 wrote:
In the old format, I could highlight 50 emails in trash and press 'delete' and they would all disappear. Now all I can do is highlight six emails at a time which is going to take forever to get rid of all my trash. I do wish BT would stop trying to pretend that this new email format is OK and that we are all idiots. It is rubbish, bring back the old version...

You are posting on a two year old thread. The massage that was posted in message 2 regarding deleting emails was relevant at that time but is not relevant two years later on the "new" BTMail system.

Try the following which has been posted on the forum many times already.

If you want to delete multiple emails try the following.

If you hold down the shift key then tick the box to the left of the first email you want to delete in the list of emails then scroll down using the scroll bar on the right hand side and tick the last email you want to delete then release the shift key. It will select all the emails in between. You can then click delete or drag and drop them into the Trash folder. 

As regards your comment "I do wish BT would stop trying to pretend that this new email format is OK and that we are all idiots".

I have not seen any posts from BT saying the new email format is OK, in fact the following link was posted by the BT moderators, who are the only BT staff on the forum, which would would appear to have missed.

Webmail migration update - BT Community

0 Ratings