cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

E-Mail account apparently hacked

I set up an additional e-Mail account for my wife from my BT account. She stopped receiving e-mails and it became apparent someone was able to change the password for her account. When I attempted to reset the password it also appears the mobile number and the e-Mail address used for gaining access for password recovery have been changed. I was only able to reset the password using the security question. Being the main account holder I have tried to find out how to restore the correct information and remove the current settings so this cannot happen in future but I cannot find this information on the BT website. I note a number of people have reported similar issues on here and they have received assistance but no details are given. Thanks for reading.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: E-Mail account apparently hacked

When you set up the email account for your wife did you "gift" it to her and did she set up her own BTID.

If she does have her own BTID you need to log onto her BTID then go to Personal Details and you will be able to change the details there.

If you did not "gift" the email account to her it will still be under the control of your BTID account and the details will be the same as those for your main email account.

I would suggest that you do gift the email to her if you have not already done so.

See link and sub links.

Creating BT Email addresses? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply. I don’t remember gifting her the address but at the moment the website isn’t allowing me access to check or amend my personal details. If I have gifted it I can’t see how to change the mobile number and alternative e-Mail used for verification.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

If you have gifted it you need to sign on to her MyBT with her BTID and change it there as I explained in my post.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thanks again for your reply. However, I think the problem lies elsewhere. Looking at the help pages, when I log in with my BTID I should see the e-Mail accounts I have created including those I have gifted. There are no details shown about any e-Mail accounts. I am wondering if the problem has arisen because the e-Mail addresses were created when I first became a BT customer. I then moved to a cabled area so had to use NTL but continued using the BT e-Mail. Then when I returned to BT with a new account and created a BTID using my existing BT e-Mail for some reason my additional e-Mail accounts were not linked.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Try linking all your email accounts to your present broadband account.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/fix-a-problem/problems-with-email/can-i-move-my-bt-email-address-to-an...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Sadly,  no longer have BT broadband account.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@IndiaAlpha788 wrote:

Sadly,  no longer have BT broadband account.

Ah that along with moving from and returning to BT and you not linking the email accounts to your last BT Broadband account might explain why there is nothing showing.

For want of a better way of explaining it your email accounts will be "wandering" about in cyber space not linked to any particular account hence the reason the can not be managed.

I suspect that getting this sorted out is beyond forum members and will require the moderators intervention so I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi @IndiaAlpha788,

We can take a look into this for you as @gg30340 has said.

I've sent you a private message that will let you reply back to me on.

It will come through to my team. One of us will pick this up for you over the next 3-5 working days.

Thank you
DanielS

0 Ratings