cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Email Hacked - How to get hackers thrown out

Hi,

I have received some emails that looked like they had come from the solicitors that I was dealing with at the time and was requesting payment.  The solicitors have confirmed that they did not request payment and following investigation from their IT they had said that they can find the scammers used an old password (at least 2 years old) to access the account.  Apparently it is common for scammers to access your account and then stay logged in until they find an opportunity to try to scam you.  I have been advised to change the password on the account, which I have done and also to use another email.  Is this correct that changing your password would not then throw out the scammers?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Email Hacked - How to get hackers thrown out

Its not you that's been hacked, its the solicitors. The scammers have stolen their contact list and are spoofing emails to the contacts. Just like burglars stealing a paper address book, once stolen it can't be 'unstolen'. There is nothing you can do.

Message 3 of 4

@ntfcdebswrote:

Hi,

I have received some emails that looked like they had come from the solicitors that I was dealing with at the time and was requesting payment.  The solicitors have confirmed that they did not request payment and following investigation from their IT they had said that they can find the scammers used an old password (at least 2 years old) to access the account.  Apparently it is common for scammers to access your account and then stay logged in until they find an opportunity to try to scam you.  I have been advised to change the password on the account, which I have done and also to use another email.  Is this correct that changing your password would not then throw out the scammers?

You've been told by the solicitors that their IT said the scammers had used an old password on your email account? And the scammers stayed logged in for 2 years?

This is complete hogwash - their IT need new personal. How would they know about your old passwords?

As an aside, changing password whilst the account is still logged in will not throw out the person on the account at the time.

Have a look again at the email address used by the scammers - it might not be exactly the same, with perhaps a letter different, including hard to spot lower case "L" and upper case "i" - l - I .

If they were requesting payment, always contact the solicitor direct (NOT using any phone number on the scam emails of course). Also if they say they changed their bank account numbers etc for bacs payment - this is a complete red flag immediately.

Message 4 of 4

Don't worry about it, just abide by some sensible precautions.

Presumably some data centre somewhere is failing in it's obligation to destroy old data securely, there's nothing you can do about it except take some sensible precautions to protect yourself.

• Don't use the same password twice
  • Change all passwords from time to time
  • Don't share passwords with anyone however trustworthy they may be, they may also be careless.