cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Email Hacked and Can’t Access as Hacker changed password and phone number

My bt email account has been hacked and the hacker has changed my mobile number in my account so I can’t get a recovery code or new password and want to get back into my account or get it shut down so they stop using it as they hacked my other accounts as well.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Email Hacked and Can’t Access as Hacker changed password and phone number

Call BT 0800.800.150 and report the hacking to them. They should be able to freeze the account and assist in getting back into it.

You should also notify any banks etc that your email account has been hacked if you use the email account or user name and password for your banking etc.

See link

How can I tell if my email account is no longer secure? | BT Help

Message 3 of 12

Hi @KWBrissle and welcome to our community.

Sorry you're having problems with your email. @gg30340 advice is good but if you get stuck I'll be happy to lend a hand. I'll drop you a private message now so you can get in touch if needed.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Hi @DavidM this same problem has happened to my dad! The hackers have changed his recovery email and phone number so he can't recover his account. He's going to call BT but can he do anything else or can you help? Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

As mentioned above, get him to check bank accounts etc., probably worth changing bank passwords etc. ASAP

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Hi @ski1,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry if your dad's email has been compromised. I would suggest following @gg30340 advice and BT a call, they would be able to make sure the account is secure. If you need any help after speaking to BT, I can take a look at this for you. I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Thanks so much, all. He managed to speak to BT after finding the number through this forum and was able to get back into his account and change his password. It was stressful, but resolved now!

Also a reminder NEVER to give out your email username and password even if it looks genuine!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

BY-3XC2CR
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

BT-3XC2CR
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Almost certainly because you fell for one of the phishing messages asking you to log in again or they will cancel your account.  I have a relatively who fell for this and exactly the same happened.  

0 Ratings