cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Email client use with EE

Go to solution

I have just had full fibre installed, which required a move from BT to EE. It now seems that in order to continue using my longstanding xxx@btinternet.com with Macmail, I will have to pay 7.50pm for 'premium email'. I don't think I paid this to BT - is this really right? If I leave Macmail open on my laptop it continually sends a box asking for a password, and when entered it's not accepted.

Seems a bit of con to me!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Email client use with EE

Go to solution

If you were a BT Broadband customer and used the BT site to move to EE rather than arrange it yourself. ie contacted EE to move to BT which is not the way to do it, your BTMail account should still function in the same way as it did when you were with BT.

It might be the case that it has been down graded to a BTMail Basic account which can only be used with a web browser.

Are you able to log onto your BTMail account when using a log browser?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks - yes, I did switch by contacting BT/EE because it was part of switching to full fibre.  At the time, I assumed BT could supply full fibre, I didn't know I would be switching to EE.  It just went from there...

I can log in to BT email using Google Chrome OK.  I just like the convenience of using Mac mail - not sure I want to pay for it, though.  I also have years of emails stored in Mac mail in different folders, which I use for reference.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

You shouldn't need to pay for it, you should still have standard mail. If you are still unable to use Macmail, report the problem to customer services.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I don't really understand what they've done.

I have moved from BT to EE, so I guess I don't have my broadband service with BT any more.  I have a new account number and my old BT account seems to have closed.

I had my email service with BT for over 10 years, and I still have 3 email addresses with them, including my wife's.

I only seem to have the basic email service now.  I keep trying to add BT to my Macmail - I have another email provider, which works fine with Macmail.  When I try to add the BT email address (ends in btinternet.com), it won't let me, refusing to allow me to save the password to ingoing and outgoing servers.  I can only get out of that dialogue page by ticking 'don't save'.  The EE app or webpage doesn't seem to mention email anywhere, and the 'manage my services' page on the BT website won't let me alter my email type.  I've logged out and back in again using my BT password, but no luck.

I'm assuming this is not going to work as I am now with EE rather than with BT.  As I said, seems like a con, I think, and another way to get more money out of me!  I'll try BT customer service - or should that be EE customer service?  I'm not really sure whether I'm dealing with one company or two now.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

As stated twice previously, your move to EE should not have resulted in your mail being downgraded to Basic Mail. Ring customer services and get them to reinstate standard mail.

There is no con, just pure incompetence from BT/EE

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

As has been explained, it is NOT a con. Your email account should still be the Standard BTMail email account.

I asked you if you could still log onto your BTMail account using a browser but you have not answered.

Are you able to log onto your MyBT?

If you are, can you log on and go to "Your Products" then "Email, Manage". When there can you check what "Account type" is showing at the top of the page?

It should show as "Standard". 

Until you answer the above questions you are wasting your and our time trying to resolve this.

Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I did try that, but could find no mention of what type of account I had.

I've just got off the phone to BT customer service, who eventually worked out that something had gone wrong with the email account transfer and it had become 'basic'.  It seems that 'standard' only applies to previous customers - which I am - but the replacement arrangement on moving service is either 'basic' or 'premium', and you pay extra for premium.  It's not easy to follow as they keep telling me they're the same company, but I have to have two different accounts with them, each one under a different company...

My email remains with BT, but the very helpful adviser basically just upgraded my email account to premium from basic, which achieves what should have happened originally.  Apparently it will take 3-4 days for this to come into effect, but with luck the problem is sorted.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated - and hopefully it's fixed now.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

There should have been no need to "upgrade" you to Premium. I suspect you have been given some flannel.

A move to Premium is just a billing change and should have taken effect immediately or certainly on the same day.

You will need to check your bill when it comes in to ensure that you are not being charged £7.50 per month. 

You should also check your MyBT and see what "Type" of email account you have.

See Link

What happens to my BT Email and BT Cloud if I move... - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for the link - I just checked, and it lists my email account as 'basic'.

I tried clicking on 'upgrade to standard', and it asks me if I have BT Broadband, or if I have changed to another provider.  Well, that seems to depend on whom you ask.  I've tried 'BT' and it tells me I already have 'standard' (despite what the main page tells me), and that I should log out and log back in again.  This produces no change.  If I click on 'different provider', it takes me to the BT broadband page to sign up, which I obviously don't want to do.

I'm hopeful that the changes the Customer Services adviser did today will remedy that.  She did seem surprised when she noticed it said 'basic' on the BT account.

0 Ratings