cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Email going directly trash folder

Emails have not been received on my iphone.  I logged into BT account via website and can see a new email in the inbox, but when I try to download email on iphone it seems to automatically move the email to the trash folder and therefore I cannot see it on my phone.

any ideas what to check?

thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Email going directly trash folder

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account?

What email app are you using on your iPhone?

Is the email app on your iPhone set up as an IMAP account or a POP3 account? I suspect it may be a POP3 account.

Have you previously downloaded the email that is in your inbox to your iPhone and subsequently deleted it or is it possible that some other person has?

Do you access your email on any other devices other than your iPhone?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

thanks for the reply, see details below

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account?

BT Broadband (EE these days)

What email app are you using on your iPhone?

Native iphone mail all

Is the email app on your iPhone set up as an IMAP account or a POP3 account? I suspect it may be a POP3 account.

IMAP

Have you previously downloaded the email that is in your inbox to your iPhone and subsequently deleted it or is it possible that some other person has?

no, email account only on iphone and mac. No one else has access.

Do you access your email on any other devices other than your iPhone?

yes mac but its not on at the time.

When I was logged in via web to BT email I see the new email arrive and sit in inbox.  Open up mail on iphone and I see it disappear from inbox and move to trash.  Only started happening in last 7 days.  There have been no changes to any devices.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I do not use Apple devices so I am not sure if there are any settings that can cause this issue to happen with an IMAP account but I doubt there will be.

As the email account is set up as an IMAP account it should be replicating what is on the BT servers which is what you see when you log onto your email using webmail (using a web browser). 

As the problem only appears when you access the email account on your iPhone I would suggest that the first thing to try is delete and then re add the email account to the email app on the phone.

Before adding the the email account re-start your phone.

See link for the BTMail settings. I would suggest setting it up using the "other" setting and add the relevant settings manually as per the following link.

BT Email server settings | BT Help

There should be no need to back up the email account on your iPhone before doing this because the email/folders should be synchronised due to it being an IMAP set up.

EDIT: You should also check to see what the "type" of email account it is listed as.

To do that log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Products" then "Email, manage" and check at the top of the page the "Type" of account. It should be showing as "Standard".

0 Ratings