cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Totally blank senders details on emails received

Hello

Has anyone else started to receive emails where the sender's information is totally blank. By which I mean TOTALLY  blank, missing, nothing there at all.

It's annoying because one can't hover with the mouse to see the sender, nor can you block the sender on the More Actions dropbox. All you can do is move the emails and delete it. I'm 99.99% sure that these are all spammers, so I delete them. 

However  I am somewhat puzzled and annoyed. Why do the BT servers accept such emails for transmission, if the sender's information has been deleted or adjusted in some way so that, if it is present, the recipient is deliberately prevented from seeing it? I would have thought, if BT is serious about combating scammers,  that this would be an easy validation check for their servers to perform, before accepting or rejecting the email for onward processing. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Totally blank senders details on emails received

It is most likely the email has come from a spammer/scammer and they are hiding their email address in the senders address box.

The email address that is shown can be anything that the scammers want it to be as you obviously know because you have used the "hover over" to see the "true" email address. The email address you see is not what the spam filters look for.  The filters use the headers etc to see if it meets the criteria of being classed as spam or not and as you are probably aware this is not an exact science so some spam emails can still get through.

If you log onto your email account and select the email using a single click to place a tick in the box on the left of the email then go to the "More" button in the menu bar you can then select "View Source" and it should open a drop down box with all the details of the email including its email address.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Totally blank senders details on emails received

Hello gg30340

Many thanks for your response. 

I will try the procedure that you suggest the next time that I receive one of these emails. 

0 Ratings