cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Email rules

Go to solution

Hi, just become an admin for some Facebook groups. As a result I’m getting hundreds of emails about posts and requests from Facebook. Is there a way of auto-moving emails from Facebook to a FACEBOOK folder I’ve already created?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Email rules

Go to solution

If you want to create a rule you need to log onto your email account using a browser. Then click on your username at the top right hand side then go to settings.

Once there go to "Mail" on the left hand side and scroll down to "Rules" and enter the details that you want the rule to work under then click "Save".

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks, as I was using an iPad, I hadn’t switched to desktop view to find it.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Nice clear solution from gg30340. The only problem is that I find it doesn't work. I have several rules set up already. When I go to edit one or to add a new one it accepts my input but the "Save" option doesn't do anything. If I close the pop-up it asks me whether I want to save the change, but when I click Yes it still does nothing.

Seems to be a UI bug. Any workarounds?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @gregprog welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I've just set up a couple of test rules in BT email and it appears to be working. Have you tried clearing the cookies and cache or an alternative browser? Also, make sure the rule name has been accepted, it must contain at least 5 characters and only be letters and numbers.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Very interesting and useful, though I think what this reveals is, as I suspected, a UI bug. 

I started with 11 rules all of which have a hyphen or a space or both in their names. When I try to edit one or to add another continuing the same name pattern it fails. I call this a UI bug because it gives no indication about what is wrong and I see nothing to indicate what the acceptable rule names now are. The fact that my pre-existing rules have names that are apparently unacceptable indicates a flaky design change that introduced an almost certainly unnecessary restriction.

Anyway adding a rule with a name that has neither space nor hyphen in it is a good workaround, but I wonder what the maintainers think they are doing - or perhaps they didn't think. I've seen a lot of this sort of error perpetrated by 21st century coders in which something (often a password) is subjected to new restrictions and no thought is given to how the user should see the transition.

Well I suppose we should be pleased BT continues to provide an email service. There are signs that it would like to drop it as it has done to its bundled cloud storage.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi, @gregprog When you try to save the rule is the rule name box red with the error regarding the invalid character, it may only be noticeable if you scroll back up the page?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Sorry for delay, NeilO, I've been away.

Interesting question, but not for the obvious reason.

First, I say again, that this change in the validation of rule names should have been prominently signalled. It is arbitrary annoying and the fact the non-compliant names still work shows it to have been unnecessary - maintenance work for work's sake?

Second, this UI pretended to accept my commit without providing any indication that it was really doing nothing because of an error. 

Third it is possible that the UI turned the border of the offending field red. If so then it is yet another of the UI's that shows this popular mistake - a clear indication of ignorant and inconsiderate designers with no adequate supervision. Like up to 8% of men I am red-green blind and this business of indicating an error by turning a thin line red is almost invisible to me. People thinking about accessibility tend to concentrate on more unusual and more serious sensory defects, but really any UI that signals anything important by a colour change alone is badly designed and shoudl be ashamed of itself.

This whole area of the web mail system looks like the product of an inexperienced team lacking an adult in the room.

In case I need to say it my answer to your question about whether the rule name box turned red  is "why should I care".

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

And here is the perfect opportunity for you to point out the errors of their ways.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Try removing any spaces in the rule name or any characters other than letters and numbers. I found that the rule name accepted "findmypast" and saved but not "find my past"
0 Ratings