cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Emails deleted in error with new BT

Go to solution

Are people aware that they could delete emails from your Inbox in error?  I give 2exampes

1) Email marked OWL is marked for delete.

areimer_0-1711139288620.png

I want to delete it.  Press delete in top menu.  Email is deleted as intended, but after it has gone, the screen looks like:

areimer_2-1711139496045.png

The next email down becomes marked for delete.  This is not my intention.

2) I open an email in Inbox to view it, I may decide to keep the email & close it.  but it is now marked for delete.   This is not my intention.

In both cases, if I ever select another email for delete, & delete it, I will inadvertenly delete the examples above.  You may not have realised that these emails are deleted.   Days later, you try to search for them in your Inbox, but they are gone.  They are in Trash.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Emails deleted in error with new BT

Go to solution

In answer to your question, yes it is possible if you do not pay attention to the fact the email is selected when you press delete.

It is not marked for delete, it is "selected" to be available for any action you wish, ie open to read or move to another folder etc etc. 

To prevent this, log onto your email account and go to settings by clicking on your username at the top right. When in the settings and click on "Mail" in the left hand column.  Then go to the box named "View next mail after delete/move" and untick it.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

As has been explained numerous times on the forum.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks fo the reply.  Useful info.  This certainly works, but not completely.   If I open an email for viewing & close, it is still shown as selected.  Youi have to actually de-selected it, or you run the risk of accidently deleting it as described above.  This not a clever design; to know that you have to change a setting.  But, the problem doesn't stop there.  I tried BT's messaging sysem, the 1st person who replied tried to pass me onto to somebody else, the messaging system timed out because of lack of activity, evenually got a 2nd person, who then tried to pass me on to a 3rd person (again messaging timed out), got the 3rd person, but then the whole system shut down because it was 10:30pm.  I had spent 2-3 hours getting nowhere.  Chaos!! I then phoned BT support who didn't give the advice I've just recieved & said that the system is working as designed.  In other words - nothing can or will be done.  However, this forum has given a good explanation & a work around which helps.  The forum has proved itself to be a great help.   But I think that the problem I raised is a fundamental one.  An email is deleted - and you don't know it.  It shouldn't be a forum such as this to solve these things.  The company I once worked for had an ID/HF group.   Industrial Design/Human Factors.   Their job as to make sure their machines made sense to the users.  BT needs to have similar group.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I'm afraid that this reply is not good enough.  I'm not a geek.  I want to be able to switch on, press some buttons & complete my tasks.  I don't expect to have to use the messaging service (completly useless) nor call customer support where I was told that's the way the system works.  I don't expect to have to go to Community Forums to get a reaonable answer.

0 Ratings