cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Emails not being recieved

Go to solution

This is a strange situation that I hope some experienced forum contributors can help me with.

This is not a direct issue for me. I am trying to help a friend. I am a BT Broadband customer but I do not have a BT Email address. We have been trying to troubleshoot this issue from the point of view of the recipient which is a friend that has his own domain.

The domain is hosted with TSOHOSTS and up until approximately last month everything was fine. 

The domain is @strafford.uk.com. The email name does not matter as the we have tried new address at that domain and they are not received if sent from @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com.

The strange part is the senders sending from the bt domains do not get a bounce back. The mail appears to gets sent without any errors.

These emails never arrive in the inbox of the Mac, Windows, iPad clients or directly into the webmail email source server in his cPanel.

Emails from other providers are all arriving correctly.

When first looking into the problem we noticed that the shared IP of the domain was on a blacklist but only Gmail at this point was flagging mail from him as Spam. We took this up with the hosting company who made corrections to the SPF record and the DMarc record and Gmail stopped flagging the mail as Spam.

They are now assuring us that nothing should now be getting blocked and their server logs are not showing any blocked IP's or email addresses regarding the two above bt domains.

So my question is could BT be blocking the domain or IP address even though it appears to be sending the emails and not informing the sender, for example it just reports to the sender it's been sent but it never forwards the email to the recipients mail server at tsohosts?

Thanks in advance for your time.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Emails not being recieved

Go to solution
Does anyone on here have the ability to check if BT are blocking the IP...
for their mail servers?
Regards
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, @max232 welcome to the community, and thanks for posting, that IP is listed on two blocklists. These are not operated or managed by BT so your friend will need to raise this with his domain host. You can check it yourself on the following independent checker MXToolbox

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks Neil for the feedback.

Its the first thing I did raise with them but their approach is to just amend the records to validate the IP's reputation. 

They are saying the two lists, and it was on four a month ago when all this started should not be relevant and others on the shared IP are not reporting issues. 

So are you confirming that bt maybe usinf these lists and blocking because of them?

Or are saying its just good practice not to be on them which i agree with?

He has many contacts using bt mail so its a major disruption for him.

We are almost at the point of having to move hosts. In the meantime we are trying to get the current host to move him to another server/IP thats not blacklist as they seem adamant they will not apply for the IP address to be removed even though I have directly requested it at least four times in support tickets with them.

Thanks again for the response. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @max232 I can't disclose what lists are used but if an IP address is listed anywhere it may cause problems. On the What's my IP address checker it comes back as being flagged on three block lists. I can appreciate the inconvenience this is causing but it is a hosting problem as BT can't apply for an IP address that's not owned by us to be removed or put on an allowed list.

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I understand Neil. Thanks again for the decisive response. 

Regards 

Tony 

0 Ratings