cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Error 553 - AGAIN!

Go to solution

I am in the midst of buying a house, and need urgently to exchange emails with my solicitor, which I have been able to do until a few days ago.  But now I am getting "Error 553" messages on everything I try to send, and the emails do not get sent.   This is clearly NOT THE CONTENT, as I can copy and email exactly the same words to my wife's account as normal.

Also, emails from the solicitor are being diverted to the Spam box, although their name is in my address book.

I see many others have had similar problems, so isn't it about time for BT produce a solution for all users?

Yours hopefully!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Error 553 - AGAIN!

Go to solution

Hi @Northumbrian23 welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry you're having problems sending emails. An error 553 means the email has been rejected by our spam filtering system due to content or policy issues, this is done to stop BT's email system from being abused by spammers and scammers. Unfortunately, it can sometimes make mistakes.

Are you using a VPN on your broadband as that sometimes triggers this error? If you do, can you try disabling it to see if that helps?

If you're using an email programme to send your emails I'd also recommend logging into the BT email website on this link to see if you can send from there. 

Adding your solicitor's email address to your safe sender's list may also stop them from being incorrectly sent to your spam folder. 

1. From the Settings tab, select the Safe senders" folder and click on the Add button
  2. Add the email address you want to mark as safe and click Save
  3. After a confirmation message the email address will be added to your list of safe senders
  4. To remove a safe sender you just need to click on the Delete button

Please reply back and let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Error 553 - AGAIN!

Go to solution

Hi NeilO,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I always use the BT email website,  so that's where the problem has been occurring.

2. Good news is that your suggestion of adding the target address to Safe Senders seems to have worked, so many thanks for that.

3. Nevertheless, I do find the BT website difficult to navigate, and surely it should be easier to find guidance without resorting to bothering this forum?  Having said that, I am of course very grateful for your help on this.

Cheers.

0 Ratings