cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Error when sending email to a BTOpenWorld.com account

Today we are having an issues with sending emails to an @btopenworld.com domain account. Our email are queueing in our system (Mimecast) with the error - received fatal alert unknown_ca

Has anyone encountered the same issue today?

Thank you

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Error when sending email to a BTOpenWorld.com account

Try using @btinternet.com instead. The 2 are interchangeable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

My wife and I both have BTopenworld addresses. Within the past few days, we have not been receiving emails from Gmail addresses although we know they were sent. In my case, the last one was 4th July and in my wife's case, 7th July. I wonder if this is a related issue.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Good morning and thank you for responding. I believe it will all be related. 

The ideal next steps would be to report to their technical department detailing the error message on my first post. I unfortunately don't have an account or any services with BT to report to their technical team. 

I'll be happy to assist where i can

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

The problem has been reported to BT, they are now aware and looking into it. 
I spotted this post whilst I was on the phone to them and they have read it.
My call was about emails not being delivered to btopenworld.com from some external domains (notably gmail.com and googlemail.com - I suspect there may be some others).
Replacing btopenworld.com with btinternet.com does work; but is not straightforward when you are known every where using a btopenworld.com. Best to wait for the BT to fix it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Thanks K0202.
Not sure whether I should also report thisissue to BT or wait to see if they respond.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

They took it on board when I was on the phone to them; and it was placed as a top priority. As a newly reported issue they could not offer a time-to-fix.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Has anybody actually tried my suggestion in messages?

If that works, it will be much quicker than waiting for BT

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Yes, that does work (see above); at least when I tested it yesterday. It's good if you really need to get an email through 8-)

A problem is that updating all my online accounts, contacts and so on would be a herculean task! I suspect others might fall into to the this category as well. Hopefully they will fix it quickly (it may be affecting more than a few people?).

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Good news, I hope. I have missing emails from the last few days (from gmail.com, googlemail.com and others) coming through right now!

0 Ratings