cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Incoming mail server is not responding/is dropped

Hi,

I use MS Outlook on my laptop to access my BT emails, but this has recently stopped working (after the Microsoft failure around 23/24 Feb 2023)

When I try to select Send/Receive emails (still via Outlook this generate an error message; I also keep getting a pop up message to confirm my password….which it looks as if it is not accepted.

I can remove my account from the Outlook and tried to create a new one, but now I am not able to do that even though all the details are as before (snapshot taken before deletion)

Logging into BT Webmail works ok , I can send and receive mails as normal. 

Can anybody suggest any advice on how to get this sorted out, please?

Thank you

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Incoming mail server is not responding/is dropped

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email account via a BT Premium email account?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

I am BT customer 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

If this has just started after the problem with Outlook it would appear to be something with your Outlook that is the problem.

As you have  already tried removing and resetting up the email account which has failed I would suggest that you now try a "Profile Repair."

1. In Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, or Outlook 2016, choose File.

2. Choose Account Settings > Account Settings.

3. On the Email tab, choose your account (profile), and then choose Repair.

Note: The Repair option isn't available if you're using Outlook 2016 to connect to an Exchange account.

4. Follow the prompts in the wizard, and when you’re done, restart Outlook.

If that still doesn't fix the problem the next thing to try would be to uninstall and re-installing Outlook but before doing that back up any emails that you may still have on your computer although after having previously deleted the BTMail account the may already be deleted.

Once it is re-installed use the settings in the following link to set up your BTMail account.

BT Email server settings | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for your instructions but I have tried this before and did not work either. 

I have tried to install Thunderbird to check if the connection itself works on different app and it didn't work....still getting a message 'unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration,user name or password'.

This message suggests that this is not Outlook issue as it does not connect to Thunderbird either.

What do I do now?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

It could be a problem with the BT mail server that you are connecting to.

Try turning off your BT hub for about 30 minutes.

When you turn it back on it should be issued a new IP address and hopefully it will be connected to a different email server.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

As I am away now..can I do this remotely using an app...and what NT app can I install on my phone,please?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

You can use the MyBT app to restart the BT hub when connected to the hub on your home network but as far as I am aware it can not be done remotely when you are away from your home network.

In any event a quick restart might not get you a new IP address. It normally get changed after the hub has been switched off for longer than a restart.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

If you are away from home with your laptop using a different network rather than your home network, and your email is still not working that would tend to rule out the server and IP address of your BT hub being the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Thank you for your support.

For now I will use what I can to get my emails but definitely will revisit this topic very soon.

Thank you

0 Ratings