cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Is BT Email still undergoing improvements?

We are now on v2.27.1. When BT took over WebMail some years back there was a challenging period of transition whilst they grasped losing much functionality from the previous host, Yahoo, but numerous promises were made to improve things. It now being 2023, I was curious...

There are 2 x issues that bug me daily:

1. There is still a 300Kb limit on the email body, so that if an exchange of emails reaches that limit, it effectively ends that conversation refusing to 'send' anything further.
  2. You will get notification of a new email arriving in a subfolder, but on opening that subfolder, you then have to 'refresh' it to see new email rather than it just being there.

There are other issues that were promised to be resolved, but have resigned myself that no one cares. But are these 2 x issues being 'looked at', or is what we have, all we'll now get?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is BT Email still undergoing improvements?

Hi @Stephen5000, welcome back and thanks for posting. Improvements to the email service are ongoing. I've asked about the ones you've raised and had the following update:

• Yes, There is a 300KB text limit. In reality that is a lot of text (over 300K ASCII characters) so anyone hitting that limit must be having a really long thread or text.  If this is a really long thread, having lot of individual emails.  Also note that the email can carry attachments up to 20 MBs. As a workaround, we suggest moving the older text into an attachment / PDF or use the feature to forward the email as attachment on a new thread.
  • There is an automated polling on webmail to refresh, but sometimes the notification comes in earlier before the INBOX /folder has had a chance to automatically refresh and the user sees this experience.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@JohnC2wrote:

Hi @Stephen5000, welcome back and thanks for posting. Improvements to the email service are ongoing. I've asked about the ones you've raised and had the following update:

• Yes, There is a 300KB text limit. In reality that is a lot of text (over 300K ASCII characters) so anyone hitting that limit must be having a really long thread or text.  If this is a really long thread, having lot of individual emails.  Also note that the email can carry attachments up to 20 MBs. As a workaround, we suggest moving the older text into an attachment / PDF or use the feature to forward the email as attachment on a new thread.
  • There is an automated polling on webmail to refresh, but sometimes the notification comes in earlier before the INBOX /folder has had a chance to automatically refresh and the user sees this experience.

Hi John, many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, 300Kb does allow carrying alot of text, but every few weeks I do get the error message telling me I have reached that limit (My friends and I don't do Social Media so it's quite common for us to engage in long threaded emails) - I don't see why there is a limit at all. In the 90s. floppy discs had a capacity of 1.44Mb, surely we have moved on from setting a 300Kb limit on anything?

Also, just last week I had a 4 day break away, (I don't do emails when away, nothing in my life is that urgent!), but on return, I had notification in various folders showing there were 'new' emails, but on interrogating them, I still had to refresh the folders to read the emails.

I do realise that these are genuine 1st world problems, and in the grand scheme of life, wouldn't even reach on the scale of 'trivial', but BT had promised in the past years to sort them, so frustrating to see them still around.

Happy New Year... Stephen

Message 4 of 6

I get the same msg (body text exceeds 300kb) a lot when using webmail. The issue i have is that i get it when i'm forwarding on typical emails from Amazon etc ie their promo emails etc. ie nothing that should cause an issue. Is there something wrong with my settings or do i just accept it? The emails i fwd on don't warrant copying to seperate docs!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@johnnyberesfordwrote:

I get the same msg (body text exceeds 300kb) a lot when using webmail. The issue i have is that i get it when i'm forwarding on typical emails from Amazon etc ie their promo emails etc. ie nothing that should cause an issue. Is there something wrong with my settings or do i just accept it? The emails i fwd on don't warrant copying to seperate docs!

Accept it. BT WebMail won't send anything bigger than  a staggeringly huge 300kb in body text, but hey, that's almost 25% of what a floppy disk use to hold LOL I know it's absolutely ridiculous, but no amount of whinging here will change it - I've been at this issue for years now... (Irony is you can attach up to 25Mb...)

Message 6 of 6

Thanks, JB
0 Ratings