cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Issue with Thunderbird not getting emails...

In the last few days, ThunderBird has not been collecting my emails in a timely manner. I only really noticed today as I was awaiting a specific message. On signing into WebMail, I had 9 messages waiting for me, yet even a forced 'refresh' (F5) of ThunderBird didn't make it collect them. Just stated no new messages.

Yesterday at about 5pm, TB burst into life and collected a dozen or so emails starting from 10am!

Is this a new fault, or just another delightful quirk  of v3.6.0 which I now appear to be on?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Issue with Thunderbird not getting emails...

I am on the latest webmail version and I do not have your problem on any of my devices using T'bird so I doubt it is a webmail problem but having said that with BT who knows!

Have you gone into T'birds  "account settings" and checked under "server settings" to see what the interval has been set to check for new emails and that the boxes "check for new messages at start up" and  "automatically download new messages" are ticked.

If they are OK it could be a BT server issue that T'bird is not signing on to the BT servers in order to check for new emails however I would have expected an error message if that was the case.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@gg30340wrote:

I am on the latest webmail version and I do not have your problem on any of my devices using T'bird so I doubt it is a webmail problem but having said that with BT who knows!

Have you gone into T'birds  "account settings" and checked under "server settings" to see what the interval has been set to check for new emails and that the boxes "check for new messages at start up" and  "automatically download new messages" are ticked.

If they are OK it could be a BT server issue that T'bird is not signing on to the BT servers in order to check for new emails however I would have expected an error message if that was the case.

Yes, the interval setting is still at, 'one minute' the same since I initially set it up. Other settings are just as you suggest. It's not a disaster, just means I have to have a browser tab opened with my WebMail on it so I can monitor for new emails. I'm hoping it's just a passing error from the BT server and it'll right itself soom

Though I still have that awful typing delay with one WebMail address with another being perfect, which just suggests to me that I get pot luck into which server I get logged on to in the morning!

Oh, and of course, the issue of BT censoring emails which is just naughty, and probably a little bit illegal LOL

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

As you are aware due to your previous post, BT do not censor emails as such but they can stop emails that they feel could be spam or malicious from being sent. This is obviously an automated process that can and often does get it wrong.

Solved: BT are Censoring my email and refunsing to send th... - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@gg30340wrote:

As you are aware due to your previous post, BT do not censor emails as such but they can stop emails that they feel could be spam or malicious from being sent. This is obviously an automated process that can and often does get it wrong.

Solved: BT are Censoring my email and refunsing to send th... - BT Community

Their 'filtering' system is cr*p!!

The email I was trying to send did not contain any hyperlinks. It was sent to one single recipient who I've been communicating with for almost 20 years with many 1000s of emails. (NOT a 'spam' email sent to 1000s). It contained no attachments that could be construed as malware, and there was nothing in it that could be construed as 'phishing'. Yes, it had some swear words in it, but nothing that you can't hear on Ch4 after watershed.

If they are going to attempt to CENSOR emails, the least they can do is devise algorithms that are more accurate...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Just an update on the original issue of ThunderBird not collecting my WebMail messages. I had about a dozen emails sitting in WebMail, no amount of F5 refresh on TB would force a collection, just got the message, 'no new messages'. So I then closed TB, re-opened it and let it login. On logging in, it instantly picked up all the messages.

So I diagnosed it must be an issue with TB, rather than BT. I then cleaned out TB using CCleaner, where it cleared our a rather large 'cache', and TB now appears to be working normally now, picking up message pretty instantly as it use to.

However despite a 'google', I can't find a method to manually run this clean out other than using a 3rd party cleaner. Does anyone know how I can add this to my maintenance routine?

Went into TB, 'tools' - 'settings' but can't find anything...

0 Ratings