cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Just a thought for BT to consider...

You gotta wonder why BT don't just buy a proven off the shelf email system and simply rebrand it, like they did with the previous Yahoo system.

All these numerous continuing faults are soul destroying for it's users, and I'm sure the BT email team must be overwhelmed on how bad a system they have actually released...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Just a thought for BT to consider...

@Stephen5000wrote:

You gotta wonder why BT don't just buy a proven off the shelf email system and simply rebrand it, like they did with the previous Yahoo system.

All these numerous continuing faults are soul destroying for it's users, and I'm sure the BT email team must be overwhelmed on how bad a system they have actually released...

or the other side of the coin, i cannot  fathom peoples obsession with constantly tying themselves into using an ISP'S email system, when there are many better, free and trouble free systems available. 

Message 3 of 10

@Stephen5000 wrote:

This may or may not be the case but have you considered that BT may have bought an email system "off the shelf" with some changes and branding specifically for BT but have been badly let down by the company that sold it to them?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@yorksparkwrote:

@Stephen5000wrote:

or the other side of the coin, i cannot  fathom peoples obsession with constantly tying themselves into using an ISP'S email system, when there are many better, free and trouble free systems available. 

That might be suited to someone who started using BT WebMail a few weeks/months ago. For guys like me that have used it since 1992, and have in excess of 150,000 emails, not really a genuine solution to just switch! My life is tied into the BT email system, though I must confess it has slightly got better since a few months back I bit the bullet and started using my primary address with an email client, Thunderbird. But, I shouldn't really have to as plenty of other suppliers can offer a working WebMail system.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@gg30340wrote:

@Stephen5000wrote:

This may or may not be the case but have you considered that BT may have bought an email system "off the shelf" with some changes and branding specifically for BT but have been badly let down by the company that sold it to them?

I thought only government procured useless infrastructure at eye watering costs LOL HS2 at £140 Billion. £37 Billion on a useless 'track & trace' system. Even Blair squandered £14 Billion on an NHS IT system that was so bad, it wasn't even commissioned.  BT are a commercial company, if they were duped, that's what legal contracts are for, they should sue, recoup costs, and buy something proper for their beleaguered customers...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@Stephen5000 

Historic emails aren't a problem & can be downloaded to Thunderbird & filed. Or you can leave hem where they are & just add another account to Thunderbird.

Switching email address really isn't that big a deal. Granted you wouldn't want to do it repeatedly, but once you've freed yourself from the ISP's shackles, you shouldn't need to do it again.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@Stephen5000 wrote:

I thought only government procured useless infrastructure at eye watering costs LOL HS2 at £140 Billion. £37 Billion on a useless 'track & trace' system. Even Blair squandered £14 Billion on an NHS IT system that was so bad, it wasn't even commissioned.  BT are a commercial company, if they were duped, that's what legal contracts are for, they should sue, recoup costs, and buy something proper for their beleaguered customers...

I never said BT bought an email system, I just asked if you even consider that instead of spouting off about it all the time. I think everybody who uses it and posts here are well aware of its present issues!

In any event I fail to see the relevance of your little rant about government procurement costs when you have no idea of what an email system costs, that is unless of course you do know the cost!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@gg30340wrote:

@Stephen5000wrote:

I never said BT bought an email system, I just asked if you even consider that instead of spouting off about it all the time. I think everybody who uses it and posts here are well aware of its present issues!

In any event I fail to see the relevance of your little rant about government procurement costs when you have no idea of what an email system costs, that is unless of course you do know the cost!

Yes, I have considered it, as I use to use the 'yahoo' system, so never really understood why BT felt the need to develop their own. Interesting to note that for me, in all the years I did use it, I never had one instance of 'writing' to complain about it not working.

No, have no idea what an email system costs, but I get most of my stuff in Asda/Lidl, next time I'm in, I'll have a look... 😁

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@yorkspark   Exactly.

Back in the early days of the internet, I was with one ISP mail after another.  Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange etc.  (Those names date me).  Eventually I decided that having to change every time I moved provider was pointless.  Been using a couple of free Hotmail, (as it was then), mail addresses since 2000.  Never had any problems or any need to move again.

Message 10 of 10

@WSHwrote:

@yorkspark   Exactly.

Back in the early days of the internet, I was with one ISP mail after another.  Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange etc.  (Those names date me).  Eventually I decided that having to change every time I moved provider was pointless.  Been using a couple of free Hotmail, (as it was then), mail addresses since 2000.  Never had any problems or any need to move again.

Well, if we're wandering down memory lane, in 1992 I got my 1st ever 'Sky' box. It came complete with their email function, using the domain name, 'talk21', a communication system for the 21st century. I have used that address for 32 years now as I could never see the point of changing my primary means of contact. Kinda like keeping a postal address, how will folk keep in contact if you keep changing? (Unless of course, you want to lose contact LOL)

I have a few additional addresses now for various reasons, but my online life still revolves around 'talk21', sadly now in the precarious hands of BT...

0 Ratings