cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Missing emails when moved to a different folder

I was moved to the new email setup at the beginning of this week.

Yesterday I moved a load of work emails from the inbox to their relevant folder, and when I went to check them just now they are not there. I checked neighbouring folders as the drop-down cursoring for choosing the new folders is a little imprecise (a couple of times the drop down disappeared before I'd made my choice). Nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might find them please? Or are they likely to be gone for good? I assume their disappearance is something to do with the new email setup being not finetuned yet.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Missing emails when moved to a different folder

Have you tried logging out then back in and then searching for the folders?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@gg30340 Yes, and they're still missing. They're not in the trash. Is it possible to search on the contents of the email? There's a phrase in one of the missing emails that won't be in many of my emails (of which I have a lot!!), so if that's possible I should be able to track it down easily. Most frustrating.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

You can search using various parameters.

Click on the folder you want to search. This will select it in the search box.  You will see a "down pointer" to the right of the search box. This opens a drop down box which allows you to use the various search parameters.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@gg30340

Thank for that helpful hint. I've searched 'all folders' using the various filed (sender, key text etc) and they are nowhere. So I can only assume they are lost. I'm not very happy.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I am not convinced that the search in BTMail is very good so I would not take it as a given that what you searched for is not there.

I have assumed you are using a web browser and used the the "Move To" option in the menu bar, is that correct?

Did you move them on mass or did you move them individually?

I have just tried moving emails and "loosing" them but could not do it. They always moved into the folder that I selected or was hovering over when I released them. If I used drag and drop and tried to loosing them they either did not move or dropped into the folder that was either above or below the one I wanted or into which ever folder was highlighted at that time.

Is it possible that when you moved them you dropped them into a sub folder, if you have any, of the folders that you have set up in your "My Folders" section.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@gg30340

I performed the function as I normally do, selecting about ten emails and using the 'move to' option to move them from the inbox to my various work folders. I did this quite a few times, but only one batch is missing. I use a mouse so I'm usually very accurate. I noticed that it was sometimes hard to get to the correct folder check box in the folder drop-down as they seem small and somehow my mouse was acting imprecisely (i.e., it was a bit difficult to get it over the box), and a few times when I was moving things the box just disappeared before I had finished my action. It didn't 'feel right' so I wasn't too surprised to find out some of the emails I'd moved in that session were missing.

I've checked the nearby folders in case it went into the ones immediately above or below, or the next ones on from those, and nothing. I don't have any subfolders in any of those particular folders. Most of the emails I moved were fine. I'm just curious why and how some are missing, and very suspicious that it has happened the first time I try to move emails after I was moved to the new webmail.

I'm on Chrome version 125.0.6422.113, Windows 11 and the new webmail (3.5.0).

Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Do you check your email on any other devices and in particular if they are using an email client or email app?

If you do, is the email client/app set up as an IMAP account or a POP3 account?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Ah, I don't have a clue. I'm not at all technically minded. I look at my emails on my ipad and my iphone. I don't know how to tell if I am using an email client or email app, I'm afraid.

0 Ratings