cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Moving Multiple email messages

Go to solution

I have large number of emails in my BTinternet account. I have created an archive folder and want to move many of the emails into this. However, using the BT webtool, it seems impossible to move more than one email at a time into it. I have selected a number of email by holding the shift key and clicking on a small range of messages but they simply do not move. Trying to select a range of email that are beyond the page, doesn't not work. 

Using my iMac email tool it is easier to select a large number of messages but, again, they simply do not move into the archive folder. My iPad email tool gives similar results. 

Any suggestions (I long ago gave up on BTinternet for my main email address but still get some legacy messages)?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Moving Multiple email messages

Go to solution

Click on the box to the left of the first email you want to move and assuming you want to move all the emails that are below that you can either press on your keyboard  "shift" key and "PgDn" key repeatedly and it will mark all the other emails with a tick or use the "shift" key and the down arrow. This will also mark all the boxes with a tick or tick the first box you want to move and holding the shift key move to the last email you want to move and tick its box and release the shift key. All the emails in between should now be ticked.

If you don't all the emails that have been marked with a tick moved you need to go down the list and untick the ones you want to keep.

Once you have done that you then click on the move to button in the menu bar and select the folder you want to move them to and if that doesn't work try and drag and drop them into the folder.

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
First of all, I tried clicking the box to tick an email. Then holding shift, I moved down the email list and clicked on an email well below this. According to google, this should result in everything between the top and bottom being selected. This seems to be limited to 50 email or 300 emails - messages to this effect kept displaying. I then moved the messages into the archive folder; although they appeared in the archive folder, they also remained in the inbox. I have thousands of messages to be moved so I cannot do this even 300 at a time. By the way, there is no PgDn key on an iMac keyboard; there is a shortcut using Fn plus arrow up/down but this does not help in selecting hundreds of emails at a time and then moving them.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Just download a free email client (not sure if Thunderbird have a version for Mac) configured as IMAP and use that to move the mails

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

What I posted works on Windows. As I do not use iMac I cannot offer any further help regarding using webmail on an iMac.

You could use an email client such as Thunderbird or Bluemail to access the email account and use select the emails and move them to your archive folder that way.

EDIT: Post crossed with 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you gg30340 and licquorice for your help. I shall try a different email tool or fire up my old Windows desktop and see if that works.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

This no longer seems to work with the new mail web client - worked fine with the old version.

Tried using both Chrome and Firefox.

Any suggestions as to how to tag multiple emails in the new web client?

Gordon

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

If you want to delete / move multiple emails try the following.

If you hold down the shift key then tick the box to the left of the first email you want to delete/move in the list of emails then scroll down using the scroll bar on the right hand side and tick the last email you want to delete/move then release the shift key. It will select all the emails in between. You can then click delete/move using the menu bar options or drag and drop them into the appropriate folder. 

If you don't want to delete/move all the emails you have selected, you will need to go through the list and untick the email you don't want moved before making the deletion or move.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

The Shift +Scroll feature seems to have stopped working for me - maybe something with my system

What I have found that works is :-

• Click/Select first email that you want to move or delete
  • Use page down until you get to the last email you want to move or delete (approx 9 emails per page down)
  • Hold shift key and click/select the last email you want

Got up to 200 emails selected using this method - havent tried to see how many this works for!

HTH

Gordon

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

In the new webmail interface, selecting multiple emails is not working properly. In the previous interface, I could select an e-mail, scroll down (or up) past many hundreds, hold down the Shift key and select another e-mail. Everything from the first selection to the last would be selected ready for deletion or moving or whatever. And I could do this very quickly - very little delay in scrolling and no spinning circles!

In the new interface this behaviour is flaky. If just a few are selected within the visible entries, it seems to work fine. But on scrolling using the scroll bar past a few dozen or hundred, sometimes they are all selected and sometimes not. When it doesn't work, a click on the last selection while holding down the shift key results in no apparent action - the tick box just remains empty. If I release the shift key and click the box I then have two selected. 

I have a feeling this may be a timing issue where the web page is not ready for the second shift+click. Certainly, the new system seems slower than the old. 

0 Ratings