cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

New login screen bypassing 2FA

Go to solution

I have 2FA enabled - with the login requiring a code that is texted to me. The new BT login screen bypasses the 2FA and logs me straight in from user/pass with no 2FA challenge. I have changed no settings my end. Why have BT made the protection on my account weaker?

(Logging on using webmail, firefox, macbook pro)

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: New login screen bypassing 2FA

Go to solution

If you have already been using your device and browser with 2FA you may have already saved it as a "Trusted device" and you would not normally require to log on using a code. You can check your Trusted Devices by following the instructions in the following link.

2FA would only normally kick in if you are using a new device that has not been marked as a "Trusted Device" or obviously if somebody else ie a hacker,  is trying to log on using an unknown device.

Two-step authentication | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Hi - thanks for the rapid reply.  I can confirm I haven't trusted either the device or the browser. Using the old login screen - the 2FA challenge presents itself (I just checked) - using the new login screen no 2FA. Have also just checked my 2FA settings and they are still enabled.

Would add screen grabs with todays's date showing the 2fA does still work off the old login screen but can't see how to add images?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Log out of your email then try clearing your browser's history and cookies and restart your device and try logging on to see if that activates 2FA.

To add an Image click on the Camera icon in the menu bar above the reply text box but there is no need to add an image unless it is telling us something that you are not.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Just a thought, are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Will try that and report back.. cheers

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

BT Premium Mail (ex broadband customer) but have only ever used 2FA under Premium email.

Cleared cache and history - restarted. Same issue. There's clearly something not working on the new login page signin that bypasses the 2FA.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

The reason I asked what type of email account you have is that 2FA is only available to BT Broadband customers that have are using Standard email and BT Premium email account holders. It is not available to BTMail Basic account holders.

Given that you have checked your MyBT and 2FA is showing as active and you have not marked your device as a Trusted Device there would appear to be something wrong with the "new" login page or with your account while using that page.

There will be nothing that forum user will be able to do to help so I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help or at least pass this on to the relevant department. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Cool - appreciate you taking the time.  Thank you.

For completeness on this thread I checked using Chrome - with the same outcome.  On firefox I was using a private window - on chrome not incognito. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @AliG3 and thanks for posting.

This sounds like a mystery so we'll need to get our email guys to check what's happening. I can get the details over to them. Check your inbox for my message and drop me a reply.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings