cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Re: Can't sen email using iPhone or Apple Mail - Was working now isn't

I have the same issue.

i have entered the same password on both the receiving and sending connections. 
I am using ssl and port 465

any ideas on how to get email sending using iPhone mail working?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@Chris_hunterJohnson 

Are you a current BT Broadband customer and was the email account initially set up on this broadband account or are you paying for your BTMail through a BT Premium email account?

Have you checked in your MyBT > Your Products > Email, manage to see what type of email account you have. Is it Basic, Standard or Premium?

Has your email account worked previously on your iPhone?

Does your email work when using a web browser (web mail)?

Which email app are you using?

Are you trying to set up an IMAP account or a POP3 account?

BT Email server settings | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I got my account via broadband account over 10years ago.

it is a standard account.

it has worked in past. 

Chris

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

What about the other questions I asked:-

"Does your email work when using a web browser (web mail)?

Which email app are you using?

Are you trying to set up an IMAP account or a POP3 account?

BT Email server settings | BT Help"

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Yes I can send from an email.

the outgoing mail server is SMTP

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I can send mail from web browser (safari) 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

The outgoing server for both POP3 and IMAP is SMTP port 465. 

What I was asking is which are you trying to set up. POP3 uses Incoming Port 995 and IMAP uses 993.

Have you gone through all the settings and checked you have them as per the following link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

What happened that caused you to set it up again?

If it was just out of the blue it stopped working it was probably a BT server problem. The best advice when it happens is to do nothing, especially do not change passwords or delete the account from your phone as that can cause more problems than it solves.

The first thing to do when it happens is check to see if you can log on to your email account via a web browser. If you can there is obviously nothing wrong with your password or account hence the advice to do nothing.

If the problem did not resolve its self after a day or two or in your instance where you have deleted the email account from your device you should stop your iPhone and any other devices from checking for email. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off if you still have the account on your device or add a couple of characters to the email address so that it is not checking your account. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on your device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change your email password and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour to allow the servers to sync and then add the new password to your iPhone, remembering to remove any characters you may have added and again check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

When entering the settings, make sure that in the Outgoing server you do not use the "use same as incoming" for the email address and password. Enter them manually.
If the above does not resolve the problem, when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

I can log in and send emails from my MacBook using the account.

I have deleted one of the email accounts from the mail app on my iPhone.  (iPhone13  iOS 17.4.1)

turned off the phone.

Turn on  the phone then attempt to create a new mail account using mail --> accounts --> add Account

User option Other --> Add mail account

enter Name, email, password, description

Click Next

Outgoing Mail server:

host: mail.btinternet.com

username = email address

password = password

use SSL - active

authentication = Password (Options MD5 Challenge-Response, NTLM, Password, HTTP MD5 Diget)

server port 465

Response : Cannot send mail - The sender address was invalid

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

When I set up using mail on macBook I can send emails okay.

This is therefore only an issue that affects iPhone mail app

0 Ratings