cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Re: Hacked email and password change - Bypassed 2 factor authentication

Hi,

This is happening to me over and over again, they keep getting in bypassing any 2FA requirements, I've been pulling my hair our constantly resetting my account, I changed my BT ID from my email, and now I don't even get notified when they update the email address password.

BT are an absolute joke for such a large technology company, they have no idea about security!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi @noddy1 

I am sorry you're details are being changed. 

Do you have an alternative email address registered for your BT ID? 

Have you reported this to our Broadband team to get looked into? 

Leanne. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@noddy1 

I have moved you onto your own thread so that you get answers regarding your problem and not confused with OP of the other thread you posted on.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

I have spoked to BT probably nearly 15 times over the last couple of months! nobody can tell me why it keeps happening, your internals clearly know there is an issue as many support staff say they know about an issue.

BT are unable to offer any additional security for a flaw in their 2FA system, I mean if people can bypass any security and change a password, they have a major issue, either internally or with your system!

before you say it, it has nothing to do with my systems, they are all protected by Firewalls, malware and virus scanners (Both separate and leading technologies).

i have waster so many hours of my time and it's actually causing me stress-related illnesses, I have been with BT for over 10 years so half my life is secured with the email, so many days of work to undo it all.

But looks like I have no choice but to finally move provider!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

How many devices do you use to access your email account?

Do you have any "Password Manager" programs on your device?

Do you use an email client or a web browser to access your email?

Do you use a VPN?

Do you use anything such as "Mail Washer" on your device(s)?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

I have 3 devices, all with mallwarescanner and norton, I haven't got a VPN anymore, but that is not how they are getting in even if I didn't, because they can change my Pword without ever sending a PIN or using 2FA, so it's some BS bypass they have somehow, nowt to do with a hack as I can't even change my own pWord with receiving a PIN first

Yes I have passwordvaults, if they were able to access them then I would have major issue, but that is defo not the case! just my BT mail 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

The questions were asked not to find out how you were hacked they were asked to see if you had been hacked.

Just because you have been locked out of your account does not necessarily mean you have been hacked.

How do you know that your account has been hacked and not just locked until you change your password for some reason?

It could simply be that your account has been locked because the BT servers suspect that somebody or some thing has been attempting unauthorised access your account.

I note that you are not using one but for instance using a VPN can be seen as such because it uses IP addresses from various places around the world some of which can be black listed.

Using multiple devices that are all set to poll for email at the same period can be seen as multiple attempts to access the email account especially if the devices are not in the same place and if using a blacklisted IP address.

It could be that somebody with a similar email address with just one digit different has been trying to change their password and has been mistakenly using the  wrong email address and that would cause your account to be locked.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

The fact that someone added an auto forward rule to my email tells you a lot! 

noy sure who you work for, but your barking up the wrong tree fella. 

I keep getting hacked and BT is the blame for their novice security measures!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@noddy1 wrote:

The fact that someone added an auto forward rule to my email tells you a lot! 
That is the first time you mentioned that! I don't have a crystal ball.

noy sure who you work for, but your barking up the wrong tree fella. 
What has who I work for got to do with you. I will say however I do not nor have I ever worked for BT or EE

I keep getting hacked and BT is the blame for their novice security measures!

If you say so!  I'll leave you to it.

Message 10 of 11

No need to angry bro, I’m the one on the end of a hack when they have managed to try and changed password for financial accounts..

it’s BT’s fault for implementing sub par security 

0 Ratings