cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Re: SMTP server not working.

My BT SMTP is not working either. Here are the symptoms and what I have done so far.

Pop up message asking for password but this is rejected by the server.

Tried with both Outlook and Thunderbird

Issue occurs on my home broadband connection, but if I tether to my mobile phone network then it works fine.

Tried with two different PC's, one with brand new installation of the e-mail clients

Webmail works fine for sending and receiving

Interestingly, if I delete my e-mail passwords from the clients and then put them in again things work fine for a day or so and then it stops working again.

Checked my BT account and can confirm I have BT Premium e-mail listed, which I pay a monthly subscription for.

Anyone had similar or any ideas? I've spoken with BT e-mail support but they suggested a problem with the client, since i'd only been using Thunderbird at that point and webmail was working ok. However, problem same with Outlook.

Thanks in advance.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

It is probably a faulty BT SMTP server. Tethering your mobile will give you a different IP address which in turn will probably connect to a different server in the farm.

Try disconnecting your hub from line for half an hour or so to trigger a change in your IP address.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 27

Many thanks for that. I work in IT and almost certain that there's an issue with one or more SMTP servers in their farm, even though they seem to want to lay the blame at the door of the client or something else on the local PC. Interestingly enough, my ISP (not BT) recently carried out a firmware update on my router and it was then rebooted. The SMTP then started working, presumably because a new IP may have been assigned. However, after a day things stopped working again and I was back to the dreaded SMTP password popup! Thanks again for your reply.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

If you are not a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email account via a BT Premium email account it will have been downgraded to BTMail basic which can not be used with an email client or app.

See link

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

You should contact the BT Premium email team and get them to ensure that you do have BT Premium email even although it is showing as such in your MyBT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

I am a premium e-mail customer. I have had this confirmed both by looking in MyBT account and also from chatting with BT advisors. I am also paying a monthly subscription, although it does feel like I'm not receiving the service that I'm paying for!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

What I am struggling to understand, bearing in mind I work in IT, is why can't BT look at log files and see if/why my login is being rejected. Could even do a test whereby I tell them that I'm going to attempt to send an e-mail and for them to see what is happening at their end. There must be logging, since I use it at work and I know it can be a pain to look through logs, it is often rewarding in terms of diagnosing and fixing issues.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

Also, just supposing the e-mail account had been downgraded to basic, wouldn't this mean that pop and imap wouldn't work via a client or app either? These are working fine for me in my client and have never had an issue with them, only the SMTP.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

Robbie100: Indeed that has been exactly my experience. If I change passwords it will work for a day or two just as in your case. The problem is obviously with one or more SMTP servers. I also have worked in IT for more years than I care to remember.

What really gets my goat is BT's failure to look at any potential issue, blaming everything on the customer's email client. I have experienced the problem with 3 different clients. All clients receive mail but cannot send - the SMTP server rejects the password. The only client that works consistently is Apple Mail and even that has shown an occasional issue. I use a Mac but my wife only uses a PC and this is a major issue to her.

We also use Premium Email as we are no longer BT (or is that EE) Broadband customers.

BT Email Support merely say that because Webmail works, they do not have a problem. Utter balderdash. That is not Support as far as I am concerned.

Please let us know if you get anywhere.

Message 9 of 27

Hi Jim

Yes, it is ridiculous and, to be honest, the BT Premium e-mail product is not fit for purpose. Saying that if webmail works then it's not their problem is simply not good enough, since webmail works for BT basic customers anyway, so what advantage is there of even having BT premium e-mail?

Interestingly, I just connected using VPN to a UK IP and managed to send mail, so simulating what some users have experienced when powering their router off and on and being assigned a different IP and the mail then working again for a while.

However, I shouldn't have to use a VPN or keep rebooting my router to get an IP, their SMTP servers should just work!

I'm considering what to do at this point as the system is unusable as it stands.

Message 10 of 27

I'll flag your problems to the mods to chase the email team. They may post in the morning for more information from you.