cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: SMTP server not working.

Just a quick update.

I have been able to send e-mails without any issues today, even with VPN switched off.

I've no idea whether tech support have fixed any rogue SMTP servers, fixed and other issues, or if it's just by luck that things are working again. I'm thinking maybe the latter, but would be great to get some clarity on this from yourself @Leanne_T ?

If I notice any issues again I will report them on this thread.

Thanks

Rob

Message 22 of 27

Hi @robbie100 

The team have investigated and have advised there was no problems found on our side. 

They did notice the password was entered incorrectly by one user that caused a problem and have asked to ensure the password is correct on all email clients. 

Could you please monitor and let us know if you encounter any further problems? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

Hi Leanne

Many thanks for your reply.

However, I’m not at all convinced that there haven’t been any issues at BT’s end. Otherwise, how could you explain SMTP suddenly working again if a different public IP assigned. 

That in itself would suggest no problem with a users local network or device configuration.

The issue of a users incorrect password is an interesting one though. Do you know exactly what issue this caused?

Are others on this thread able to confirm whether their SMTP is working now please?

Thanks

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

@Leanne_T 

Hi Leanne, thanks for coming back to us but to say there was nothing wrong at your end is absurd. If everything is now working ok then something happened over the weekend. I am not convinced that all is well and I will investigate further.

Thanks again, Jim.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

Yes, my BT email is working now and will confirm if this still the case tomorrow morning. However, I am in the process of changing  subscriptions to newsletters etc to another email address as I am planning to move to another provider as soon as my contarct ends. It may be a case of 'out of the friying pan....' but enough is enough as customer loyalty is not recognised by BT now.  

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

That's very interesting and thanks for replying drifter. This further goes to prove that the issue has been at BT's end, since our SMTP connection is now 'miraculously' working again.

BT really need to aknowledge this, but don't expect they will. It is disrespectful to their customers to suggest the issue is at the user's end, when it's actually at their end but they either don't have the expertise or will to fix it!

I'll be keeping a close eye on my connection over coming days and weeks to see if it continues to work ok.

Any others on this thread happy to share their current experiences with SMTP? Is it working for you now too?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

@robbie100 

Just opened my device and I have found the test message I sent last night is in my BTinternet mail. Nothing to do with VPN as it is always on.

I note your remark re BT being disrespectful to its customers, and I can certainly agree with that sentiment. I used to laugh when someone started to define company accountants as being bean counters but years on, I feel that this is what it is all about, not satisfied with a healthy profit but to sweat those margins at the customers expense.

0 Ratings