cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 2 of 7

SMTP server error?

For a few days I have been having difficulties sending emails from my btinternet.com account using iPhone Mail or Windows PC. BT email app is sending emails. The BT team say it must be a fault on my system as the app is working fine. But does the app use the same servers or alternative technology? When trying to send an email using iPhone Mail I get an error message saying “Cannot send mail - the username or password for [my account] is incorrect” . But the account details are correct and port and other settings are correct. So is the SMTP server mail.btinternet.com faulty?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7

SMTP server error?

For a few days I have been having difficulties sending emails from my btinternet.com account using iPhone Mail or Windows PC. BT email app is sending emails. The BT team say it must be a fault on my system as the app is working fine. But does the app use the same servers or alternative technology? When trying to send an email using iPhone Mail I get an error message saying “Cannot send mail - the username or password for [my account] is incorrect” . But the account details are correct and port and other settings are correct. So is the SMTP server mail.btinternet.com faulty?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: SMTP server error?

There have been a few reports of SMTP problems on the forum, I suspect there is a faulty machine in the server farm.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thank you. Any chance we can get BT to sort this out?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

In an ideal world you would expect them to be aware of a problem with a machine.

A change of public IP address can sometimes overcome the problem by picking up a different server.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thank you again. Switching a VPN on using my virus program got the email sent. Smart suggestion!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Follow up for others trying the VPN suggestion. I use Norton antivirus. This allows you to install on an iPhone. It also allows you to select a VPN for added security. A further refinement allows you to specify “Fastest” or a specific country as the location of the VPN. Although I managed to send my email using “fastest” it would not pick up incoming emails! But switching to the UK as a country option corrected this. Hope this is of interest to others. It certainly seems licquorice (Distinguished Sage) is right about their suspicions.

0 Ratings