cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

SMTP server not working.

I am a Premium Email customer but I cannot send mail via Outlook or Thunderbird. Apple Mail works OK. I predominately use Apple Mail on a Mac but my wife uses Outlook on a PC so she cannot send mail to anyone unless she uses WebMail which is very clunky and not really a sensible option. I tried installing Thunderbird but that has the same issue.

Mail is received OK but no sending. I sometimes wonder why I am paying for Premium Mail.

This applies to either POP3 or IMAP accounts although, of course, the SMTP server is the same for either.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: SMTP server not working.

This is what I get from BT when I asked for similar help yesterday; 

Thank you for sharing the issue. However, since we are from BT helpdesk, we don't have much training or access to check issue with a third party email client like Outlook. If your email is working fine on webmail, which is a BT platform, there is no issue with your email account.

Been with BT for decades and over recent years seen customer experience going downhill presumably to improve margins whist introcuing AI and so called ‘guides’ rather than a memeber of their customer technical support team like before these changes.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

@Jim_Tennet does your wife's email address work with Apple Mail on your Mac and conversely does your address work on your wife's PC with Outlook or Thunderbird,? That will determine if the problem is the address or the device.

At the moment you are comparing apples with oranges.

@drifter  BT have never 'supported' third party email clients, there are too many variables for them to do so. They simply provide the necessary configuration details required.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

My Wife only uses a PC. I also have a PC so we can forget about the MAC for now, although it is my preference. I cannot get her emails to work on either my or her PCs. This is using both Microsoft 365/Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. 

We can receive emails just fine but cannot send. Outlook constantly requests the password.

I've been in touch with BT Email Support (twice) but both people tell me that they can only help if webmail is not working. Webmail IS working but this is very clunky and not a workable option.

If I try a repair in outlook it fails saying the SMTP server dropped the connection.

I would be grateful for any help you can give but I will be out for the rest of the day.

Message 5 of 31

Sorry, that doesn't answer my question, we need to know if your wife's email account works on Apple mail and whether your email address works on the PC.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

Thanks for your reply Drifter,

This is indeed what I get from BT Email Support. Webmail is not an option for us as it is extremely clunky and requires logging in every time. Why pay for premium email when the service basically doesn't work.

I've moved my broadband away from BT but need to keep the email addresses. Upset to say the least.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

It is not a generic problem, SMTP is working just fine for me and no doubt countless others or the forum would be swamped.

The problem needs to be diagnosed.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

BT have, in the past, been very helpful when I have had technical issue with either broadband or internet, but now experiencing a huge transformation in customer support since the planned corporate changes behind the conversion to EE brand. Afte 45 years of being a loyal customer, I think it time to consider a service provider I can trust and not as I am lately experiencing.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

Unfortunately, like all big organisations these days, the bean counters are in charge. To quote Oscar Wilde, they know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Message 10 of 31

@Jim_Tennet 

Have you checked to see what your email account "type" is showing as in your "MyBT"?

Log onto your MyBT account then go to "Your Products" the "Email,manage" and check the type of account you have. It should show as either Premium, Standard or Basic.

0 Ratings