cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 46

Re: SPF

Go to solution

In answer to have I read what you posted, yes, and understood about 15%.

You all try to make it sound easy which is seriously unhelpful. 

123reg say it is not for them it is for the email host. 

I can find nothing about it in Thunderbird. 

BT, while originally saying that they had no idea what I am talking about, have now passed it on to the technical people.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 46

Go to solution
That is not a helpful document. It makes no sense to me whatever.
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 46

Go to solution
The emails are sent by BT via Thunderbird and I have no idea what authentication means.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 46

Go to solution

Not wishing to be rude, but there is little point in posting a technical question on a forum if you don't understand the technical answers.

I'm still not clear whether you are sending mails via BT's SMTP server or your domain host's server and just using BT as an internet connection.

In Thunderbird go to Tools > Account Settings > Outgoing server (SMTP) and post the information it gives please.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 46

Go to solution

I find it hard to believe that you really don't understand Authentication, put simply this is your username and password.

As for the document, and without sarcasm, it is very probably the simplest explanation you are likely to find which is why I posted the link. If it really is above your level of understanding then, with respect, you are unlikely to remedy the problem yourself even with the assistance of this community forum.

Perhaps you should take your machine somewhere local where they have the ability to sort the problem for you.

Message 26 of 46

Go to solution

I have asked a lot of technical questions in a variety of help forums on a variety of subjects. This is the only one *ever* where the majority of answers have been unintelligible.  So it is not only rude to suggest I should not use a forum like this it also suggests that this forum could be improved. The vast majority of people who use email have *no understanding whatever* of the technical side of using email. 

If you were to pick 1000 people at random who use email and ask them how to add something to their DNS, I would not expect more than 4 to know the answer.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 46

Go to solution

You are entirely missing the point.

The question you are asking is a completely technical one. There is no solution that a layman with no knowledge of the technicalities of email systems can implement.

If you would answer the question I posed in my previous reply, we can point you to the correct place to address the problem.

Message 28 of 46

Go to solution

If you are sending mail via the btinternet SMTP server, it is the responsibility of 123reg to add the SPF details I posted to your DNS record in order to allow your domain to use the BT servers.

If you are sending mail via 123reg's SMTP server, the problem has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with BT and is entirely the responsibility of 123reg. They will need to add the details of their SMTP server to your SPF record.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 46

Go to solution

@bluejakwrote:

I have asked a lot of technical questions in a variety of help forums on a variety of subjects. This is the only one *ever* where the majority of answers have been unintelligible.  So it is not only rude to suggest I should not use a forum like this it also suggests that this forum could be improved. The vast majority of people who use email have *no understanding whatever* of the technical side of using email. 

If you were to pick 1000 people at random who use email and ask them how to add something to their DNS, I would not expect more than 4 to know the answer.

4 out of 1000, I think that's a bit patronising to say the very least.

This forum has helped many people resolve their problems.

As I've already eluded to, the article I posted a link to earlier is probably one of the easiest guides you are likely to find online, if it is too technical for you then you really are wasting your time pursuing the matter any further yourself, you will need someone to do the job for you.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 46

Go to solution

Just to clarify: 

Are the email addresses you are sending from BT email addresses or are they email addresses ending in your domain name?

Are you sending the emails via your domain albeit using a BT broadband Internet connection?

Are you using an email client/app such as Outlook or Thunderbird and if you are are you using the settings in the following link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings