cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 46

Re: SPF

Go to solution
Goodness, you are a nasty piece of work.

‘ As I've already eluded to, the article I posted a link to earlier is probably one of the easiest guides you are likely to find online, if it is too technical for you then you really are wasting your time pursuing the matter any further yourself, you will need someone to do the job for you.’

That is *exactly* wh I asked for help here.

As for the forum helping others, true, other people’s replies do try to help instead of just being rude about my lack of technical ability.
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 46

Go to solution
Well, I understand what you say. But 123reg say it is not true, so what can I do?
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 46

Go to solution

Can you answer the question I posed regarding SMTP server in Thunderbird please.

You really need to insist with 123reg that it is their responsibility to create the SPF record on your domain account if you don't have console access to enter it yourself.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 46

Go to solution
Distinguished Sage

I still don’t understand why you think it unusual to ask for help on a help forum. Most people think it normal.

I have said that I am sending mail via BTInternet.

The information you ask for is

Description: BT Mail
Server name: mail.BTInternet.com
Port: xxx
User name: xxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com
Authentication method: Normal password
Connection Security: SSL/TLS

That looks like sending it via BT to me, as I have said a few times but people seem to have doubts.
0 Ratings
Message 35 of 46

Go to solution

There is sending via btinternet in as much as BT is your ISP and there is sending via btinternet by using the BT SMTP servers. Until you answered the question we didn't know which.

The answer remains that 123reg need to enter the BT server details to your SPF record.

There is nothing further I can add

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 46

Go to solution

@bluejak 

Are you trying to send emails that have a from address of your own domain from the BT SMTP server?

If so, that's not good and will end up causing issues with the verification checks done by other email exchanges.

If you have your own domain from 123reg I advise using the mail server provided by 123reg.

With 123reg I'm also assuming you are using their DNS nameservers to manage your domains DNS records? If so you can update that yourself.

However, I would not use BT SMTP server for sending emails for your own domain as that should only be used to send emails from your @btinternet.com email account 

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 46

Go to solution

@jac_95 

I have a test email account on my domain provided by IONOS which I can send via BT's SMTP server. This works fine with the SPF record as posted earlier.

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 46

Go to solution

Interestingly, Gmail doesn't seem to care about the SPF record in any case!!

With SPF record in place received header is

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of info@redacted.org.uk
designates 213.120.69.116 as permitted sender) client-ip=213.120.69.116;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of
info@redacted.org.uk designates 213.120.69.116 as permitted
sender) smtp.mailfrom=info@redacted.org.uk

With SPF record deleted header is

Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 213.120.69.124 is neither permitted nor
denied by best guess record for domain of info@redacted.org.uk)
client-ip=213.120.69.124;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 213.120.69.124
is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of
info@redacted.org.uk)
smtp.mailfrom=info@redacted.org.uk

I authenticate the domain address with a btinternet address on the BT SMTP server.

Thunderbird configures SMTP servers in a different way to Outlook (which I use) but the op appears to authenticating using a btinternet address.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 46

Go to solution

@licquorice interesting, I thought BT had prevented this or may have done it historically. 
The next issue will be the DKIM signature or if the domain has a DMARC policy too as it uses both SFP and DKIM signature to verify and then act as specified by the domain's published DMARC policy.

@bluejak here's 123reg's instructions on how to view and update your dns records for your domain if you use them as your dns nameservers: https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/domains/how-do-i-view-the-dns-records-for-my-domain-name/

Message 40 of 46

Go to solution

Hi,   Have read the thread. Cannot see a solution.  
I've a  personal domain registered with 123-reg that .  I've used for 20 years.  I've not got a 123 Mail Server.  I use forwarding.  SO my USER@DOMAIN  email address is seen as sender and responder, but my 123 domain sends to my BT email address which actually sends and receives.   I use Outlook client.  

All emails work in and out EXCEPT ince early december I cannot send to any gmail address.  
1230reg moved to a new control panel but .... The SPF record 
     v=spf1 include:secureserver.net -all
is in my DNS for my 123 domain and 123 say this fixes it.  It doesnt.  
Anyone any idea.  I clearly cannot amend any BT mailbox, but since the error is from gmail, then it's already gone through BT.    All emails to Gmail fail, but emails elsewhere are coming and going no problem. 

To the response "use a 123 mail server" I say 
       A -  123 sold themselves and the personal domain ability, on the ability to forward emails
       B - 123 charge for mailbox, and I already have mailbox  available via BT as part of my broadband

Is this something I can fix via Control Panel and DNS record ? 
I'm a techy but not that techy !!!! ::-) 

0 Ratings