cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Sending email via IMAP fails - BT email

Go to solution

Using a Thunderbird e-mail client - Windows 11 - and my email account of @talk21.com sending emails from client to e-mail erver has become very, very slow. Downloading into my Inbox is fine with no issues.

Recently I have received a variety of error messages indicating that my password is required, server has timed out, refusal due to a policy issue, etc. is preventing the upload of an email from client to server. It is not possible to send an email. Only very, very occassionally will the server upload an email from the client.

I have confirmed the IMAP settings are correct with the BT email website help guide, confirmed the password is correct and logged on sucessfully via the BT web browser interface to BT email. The same issue arises if I use a different PC/Laptop. I can however send emails from Thunderbird to a @gmail.com account sucessfully without any delays or error messages. Thunderbird supports multiple IMAP accounts.

This has the "feel" of an issue with the email server and not a Thunderbird or client settings issue. Perhaps the IMAP email service is overloaded? Currently I cannot send emails.

Can anyone help me to resolve this issue?

Mamy thanks

Michael

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Sending email via IMAP fails - BT email

Go to solution

Just so that you are aware, IMAP is the receive protocol, sending is SMTP. Check your SMTP settings.

tbirdsmtp.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Licquorice

many thanks for your speedy reply. I can confirm that my settings are identical to yours and were same as the issues were developing. I can also confirm that the slowness I mentioned developed over time and has grown to a point were I am getting the errors listed plus "time-out" errors. I had also deleted and re-installed Thunderbird to see if it was the issue - however the fact that it can send e-mails to the gmail email server seems to confirm that it is not a Thunderbird issue.

Michael

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Are you currently either a btbroadband customer or paying for premium mail? If neither your account will have been downgraded to basic mail which is only accessible via webmail.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I was a BT customer but have not been one for some considerable time. I was not aware that downgrading was to happen or had happened and that access could then only be achieved via a browser not a client interface. If this is what has now happened I understand.

However, it still seems strange that some e-mails were able to be sent to the BT email server, that lengthy delays were occuring in sending and that the error messages reported by Thunderbird were various and confusing, including timeout and password errors.

Many thanks for the information.  I am happy to close this POST as an Accepted Solution unless there is any further commentary.

Michael

0 Ratings