cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Sent Emails Missing

Can someone explain why sent emails are disappearing from my sent folder. This first happened in September 2022 when I lost all previous sent emails and just recently I only have emails from the past week.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sent Emails Missing

Hi @barnessk and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry you're missing your sent emails. Are you able to see them on webmail? 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi David, no they are not present on the iPhone app or webmail. I’ve checked webmail settings and save sent Mail is enabled. It’s strange that only now and again a chunk of old sent items just disappear, they are not in the bin folder either.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I have the same issue. Friday I noticed all my sets e-mails have disappeared. I used the native Mail apps on iPhone, iPad and iMac and also webmail from time to time.

BT support state there is nothing they can do since they don't support "3rd Party" apps. I've now changed my iPhone and iPad to only use the BT Mail app and despite the agent I spoke to stating Mac also has a BT Mail app I found it doesn't so presumably I must only access e-mails on the Mac on webmail.

The agent implied they could help me (get my 10 years of e-mails back) had I only used their apps - frankly I don't believe this as their SMTP servers don't save e-mails or back them up regardless of where the server instructions originate!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

There have been similar reports on the forum and one of the common things is that all the users used Apple devices such as iPhones or iPads to access their email and when BT checked to see which device triggered the deletion it was inevitably the Apple device that triggered the deletion.

If you have checked and the emails are not on the BT servers when you use webmail it means that they are gone and can not be recovered by BT.

Not much use now but in future do not use the email sent folder as a storage folder.  If you have emails that you want to keep you should set up a new folder and store them there or better still download the emails to your device and store them in a folder there and include it in your back up regime, assuming you have one.

As regards the CS Agents comment about if you had used the BTMail app they could get your emails back. That is a load of rubbish. Regardless of which email app you use, if the emails are not on the BT servers when you check via webmail it means they are gone and can not be recovered.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the reply. The agent didn’t specifically claim they’d be able to recover the mails had I used the BT app but the strong suggestion was that the 3rd party app caused the issue (seems fair enough to me) and that the issue wouldn’t have happened with the BT app. Which in my opinion is nonsense. If the Apple app developers could screw up a call causing this issue the BT developers could just as easily do it.

unfortunately the issue is exacerbated for Apple users since Time Machine stopped backing up mails and assumed ISPs would store mails. So obviously it is doubly ironic that Apple stopped backing up mails but seem to have caused the deletion. 
I will research backup options. I think just storing mails in a new folder with the ISP isn’t a solid enough solution since I can’t see how we’d be sure any email wouldn’t just delete other folders!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Depending on which app you decide to use it can download the emails onto your device so that they are stored off the servers all together.