cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Sms and Email from BT today 17.06.2022

Received an SMS and Email from BT this morning informing me that my Broadband wasn't in good shape and I needed BT's help!

This is the text of the BT EmailYour Broadband Needs Our Help - We have noticed that your broadband is not performing as well as it should be, so you might experience problems browsing online or watching TV services.
Don't worry, our expert engineers are on hand to help and you won't be charged anything for a visit.

What do I need to do? You just need to choose a date that is suitable for an engineer visit. 

Simply reply with either NEXT or MORE to the SMS we sent you from 61998 to mobile number ***********
NEXT to book the earliest appointment, ideal for those who can have someone at home during the week.
MORE to be sent 2 further slots to choose from. (usually in the next 3 working days)

My response was not so polite

Thanks! I guess your ‘expert engineers’ will do all possible to find a fault in my house rather than blame BT. Just remember, I have always had issues with BT Broadband! I have noticed problems lately with BT TV – pixelating and losing signal again, just as my previous encounter.

Of course this Email bounced back I tried messaging and got really frustrated as apparently my message wasn't understood! I enquired WHY, IT'S in PLAIN ENGLISH ..... and then demanded an Email address on which to respond to their Email.

Your Broada

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Sms and Email from BT today 17.06.2022

Sounds like a scam, BT would not normally contact you this way. The scammer is probably trying to get personal info, like your address.

Message 3 of 10

Sounds like a scam to me. If you never contacted BT to report a fault BT will not be contacting you to tell you that you have a problem.

BT Scams | What you need to know to stay safe | BT Help | BT Help

What is a phishing scam? Is the email I have received genuine? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

The problem now is that they know your mobile number and e-mail address are "live", so you need to be aware that yo may get more scam texts and e-mails, not necessarily from BT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Contrary to what previous posters have said it's a genuine number - https://www.bt.com/help/landline/i-ve-just-got-a-text-from-61998-or-60204--is-this-a-genuine-mess

If you're having issues with the service I'd call them just to be 100% sure but this may be them proactively picking up a line fault

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Yes it purports to be a genuine number. The number has most likely been spoofed by the scammers to appear to be a genuine number so that people they call will accept that it is the real company/bank etc that is calling them.

See links about spoofing

Number spoofing scams - Ofcom

Caller ID spoofing - Wikipedia

BT do not proactively pick up line faults and contact customers.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@gg30340wrote:

BT do not proactively pick up line faults and contact customers.

Yes they do, it's always best to call direct though

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

By the way BT Consumer do now monitor broadband connections for each line and contact customers when they detect faults. See https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/why-have-you-contacted-me-about-a-broadband-fault--

It's part of some processes that was introduced a few years back.

Also see https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-com-Community-feedback/Is-this-a-scam-or-real/td-p/2211576

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@jac_95 wrote:

By the way BT Consumer do now monitor broadband connections for each line and contact customers when they detect faults. See https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/why-have-you-contacted-me-about-a-broadband-fault--

It's part of some processes that was introduced a few years back.

Also see https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-com-Community-feedback/Is-this-a-scam-or-real/td-p/2211576

Well I stand corrected.

Great idea which will no doubt help the scammers to appear genuine. 

Would it not just be better for BT to repair the faults and if an engineer visit is required to notify the customer to log onto their MyBT, (and not by placing a link in the text or email for them to use) and have a message there explaining the process to use.

Message 10 of 10

The problem now is that they know your mobile number and e-mail address.
The problem now is that they know your mobile number and e-mail address. I was actually searching for ogscapital.com/article/house-flipping-business-plan-template/ website online and while searching for it online, I found your post.
0 Ratings