cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

The Dreaded Error Code 553

Go to solution

This issue is nearly 24 hours old. I was happily sending emails before dinner last night, went on to do some more and I can't send anything due to Error Code 553.

I have tried sending myself a test message with just the heading, but that does not work ie it won't permit me to send.

Emails are still coming in, but I can't respond to them.

I tried logging on the BT email via other servers ie Google, Edge, Yahoo and whilst I can do this the same rules apply try to send an email Error Code 553.

I turned off the Home Hub for an hour, this made no difference to the problem.

Your help to resolving this hugely frustrating issue would be appreciated, but may I ask one favour please? On this sort of thing I am an utter technophobe, please if you are going to offer up a technical explanation, the simplest version would be most welcome, thanks so much.

I would add that I go into my BT email home page via Chrome and then log via the BT email log in. 

I hope this is enough to be going on with and we resolve this very soon. Again, sincere thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: The Dreaded Error Code 553

Go to solution

Update.

On my Kindle I am able to send myself a test email, no text. I then forward it back to my account, it works.

The same applies in using my Lenovo Tablet.

However, it remains impossible to send emails on either my own or my work laptop without 533 error message.

I really would be grateful for your thoughts. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, @Oxymoron I'm sorry you're getting the 553 error when sending emails. Are you using a VPN on the laptops, if so can you disable it and try to send an email?

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Hi Neil and many thanks. I log on as follows, I have book marked BT email and saved the log in details, so go in direct via webmail.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@Oxymoron is there any VPN (virtual private network) software running on your laptops? 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks Neil, not that I'm aware of, I have an additional ESET system but can't see anything on that which would be a trigger, so it continues - at least to me - to be a highly frustrating mystery. Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Oxymoron as the error is only happening on your laptops and not on the tablets it points to something on the laptops causing the error.

I'm not familiar with ESET, however, I did notice they provide something called endpoint encryption when I googled it, which might be the reason behind the error. Are you able to deactivate that for testing purposes?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks Ian, I'll have a look but fear I'm rapidly getting into deep technical water, I'll keep you posted and very much appreciate your thoughts.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Dear Ian, my reading of things is that the encryption you referred to is a separate product which I have not got, ie it is supplemental to the Home Security sytem. Sorry.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Oxymoron

Thanks for posting back.

I am sorry for the error 553 when sending emails from your laptops.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of why you're seeing this error code. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings