cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Unable to log into mail after MyBT locked out.

My MyBT was locked down cos BT thought someone else was trying to access my account.

That has been re passworded and back into MyBT OK.

BT Mail, I am being bounced around the login authorisation process but cannot get past the login screen. 

Done the usual suspects, cleared cookies, web caches etc. No joy. My mail client obviously locked me out as well though I got the password changes I made sent into the client.

Gremlins in the system? Afternoon and evening has been spent trying to work out best renewal. Nothing on my account has been changed as I checked for renewal deals. I have not signed into any new contracts with BT as I chase info. On a Mac but run the basic security checks and OK.

Anyone else?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to log into mail after MyBT locked out.

Hi @400,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry you're having problems signing into your email. Are you able to sign in using the link https://www.bt.com/email?

If you still can't get it it might be worthwhile resetting your password on that page by clicking  "forgotten your login details".

What browser and version are you using on your Mac?

Thanks,

Paddy

Message 3 of 8

Hi Paddy, thanks for the reply. had to go out for a while.

Now back to deal with it. I did have a chat this am through the web interface before I had to go for an appointment.

But there seems there is an anomaly. I can change MyBT and log in there. If I try to change my email through your link or the BT main page, it sends me to the MyBT and then it all goes south again, I get the 8 digit re auth code and it will bounce me back to login, and repeat.

I will remove all my auto login passwords first, make sure my system has no idea of BT, clear cache and cookies. iMac up to date Sonoma  14.1.2 using Safari 17.1.2 , all up to date. Content blockers are now disabled and removed (I deleted them) and iCloud private relay disabled, my lockout email arrived 20:30 last night  (it was all working yesterday morning).

I have been locked out again during the online chat trying option (had to leave the call) and need to Re Auth myself back in.

Will try the few things I can then report back.

Then start to re try

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

OK, think the problem may have been getting the account locked down and not finding my way back in correctly. I don't know why that happened but I was in and out between devices yesterday chasing deals with BT/EE so login here there and everywhere (Apple link the lot so phone one minute, then iPad then desktop etc.). That's by the by.

(FYI The email for the lockdown arrived last night when I was watching TV.)

Fire up Firefox, same problems.

Cleared everything in my autofill on anything and keychain including anything with BT (dig into apple keychain to root it all out and delete). Created a strong password the old fashioned way and still no joy with email but I could still login MyBT.

Retried the email, that directs back to MyBT.

Clear cookies and history.

Retried the forgot password option from email and get account locked down again. At that point I had different recovery options, not seen yet. I followed them and was able to login to email. The same password logs me into MyBT. I have checked my email account and there are no suspicious goings on (I rarely use it). I am still fighting with my Apple email client to accept the new password but that is another problem.

I can login MyBT and email again. But same password. If I try to change password, it does it for both.

Edit. Email client now working.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

If you want to change only your email password you need to log onto your email account using a browser then click on your user name at the top right and select "Account Info". This will bring up a new page and you select "Change Password" and follow the prompts.

This should only change the email account password and not your MyBT password.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Whatever I do, my two locations seem linked. I change one, it changes both. That was one of the locations I checked to make sure I had no meddling in my account. The only oddy was my name was my email twice.

But at the moment it is working. The only time it started to work properly was getting the "account locked out" message and then  challenges answered from that particular page, that option only appeared earlier today. Trying email option forgot password alone didn't cut it. Even then it bounced me to mybt.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Right, re stablished the various apps doing blocks etc. (BT was exempted as are any sites I want full functionality) and got a wobble when I re enabled iCloud private relay, which I now suspect was part of the problem, that and swapping between devices in quick succession, they all had iCloud private relay on, just checked their IP and they are all different.

Hope that is the reason.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Oh for gods sake!

Account locked down again!

0 Ratings