cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

change recovery email to access old account

so my mums  old bt email needs a security verification, however it sends the verification code to that email which cannot be accessed access, how do i change the recovery email so the email can be accessed.bugq4sjc.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: change recovery email to access old account

Below the box where the email address is shown it states the following: “If you can't receive your code in any of these ways, you can reset your password using security questions. ^”. Have you tried this?

Message 3 of 10

@David500 Good advice, @fredcraven let us know how you get on with the security questions.

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

That doesn’t work, I tried it before making this post, the only option is to change the recovery email cause bt deciding the recovery email being the email that cannot be accessed is dumb

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Tried that before the making the post and doesn’t work, it’s ridiculous that they make the recovery email the one you can’t access, need to be able to change that, otherwise I’m just going to use a different email service
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@fredcraven Ideally the recovery email should have been set to something else when the email was created. To keep the email secure and stop it being compromised it can't be changed as part of the recovery process. Your Mum will need assistance from us in this instance so I'll send you a private message to get in touch with her details.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

my mum is just going to stop using bt email, need all that information to get back the old account, at the end of the day not her fault bt decided the recovery email needed to be the same email despite that being a ridiculous decision, could have been solved if bt allowed her to choose the recovery email  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@NeilO  I’ve just tried to check what my recovery email is for 2 emails + another that’s been gifted all were created about 14 years ago but when I login to MyBT and the emails online I can’t find any reference to recovery email. Can it be checked/changed by the user?

Edit: just a thought is the recovery email the same as you MyBT email?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@fredcraven no problem, our offer to help is still open if you change your mind. 

@David500 in MyBT you can choose the alternative contact email in the contact details

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@NeilO Thanks. I already have a different email plus mobile.