cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

email client (Thunderbird) issues

This morning when trying to collect my mail via Thunderbird,  I got repeated messages saying that it wouldn't connect to the BT server.

I hadn't changed a thing since the last message that was collected at 17:40 on Sunday evening, the laptop had been switched off.

I checked via webmail, no problem, sent email to my gmail account and vice versa .  I called BT who strenuously denied that it was anything to do with their mail server.  I told them that nothing had changed my end, they were utterly unhelpful and I told the 'technical support' person that she was a waste of space. I made my complaint official via a confirmed message to my mobile.

I turned my laptop off till this evening. No problems whatever, connected to BT mail server straight away and retrieved mail without any problem whatever into Thunderbird.  

I do not believe in coincidences. Clearly BT did something their end to allow connection to the mail server. I would like a little more honesty and positive suggestions if I experience something similar again.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: email client (Thunderbird) issues

Assuming that it was a BT email server problem and not an issue/glitch with your T'bird email client over which BT have no control or offer assistance with, occasionally an email server can have an issue that the First Line Customer Service reps may not have been made aware of.

Until they are informed by the email server engineers that there is a problem they rightly assume that there is nothing wrong with the servers and you telling them them that they are "a waste of space" is a childish way to behave!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

If she had even apologised and said that there MIGHT have been something she was not aware of and would check I wouldn't have got annoyed with her.

It was the pure arrogance that there couldn't POSSIBLY be a problem at BT's end and her unwillingness to even check and notify me or make any helpful suggestions at all.

Having spent years in IT support pre-retirement,  I consider her attitude was inappropriate and poor customer support performance.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@jennysue19 wrote:

Having spent years in IT support pre-retirement,  I consider her attitude was inappropriate and poor customer support performance.

So does you being in "IT support pre retirement" give you the right to be rude!

Perhaps you need to reflect on your attitude at the offset of your call and how you behaved and ask your self if you would have thought it was OK to have been spoken to in that manner if you were still working in IT support.