cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT OpenReach to halt rollout of Digital Voice, yippeee...

So how will panic buttons or lifeline systems work during a power outage?

Those I have seen need to be plugged in to a power socket

Regards Richard 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

BT have now officially extended the deadline for their 'digital voice' roll out to January 31st 2027.

Pretty sure they are hoping that many of the vulnerable customers that absolutely rely on a traditional copper analogue landline, that works in a power outage, will have continued to die off. The issue is compounded by the ridiculous claims by mobile companies of 99% coverage, that is simply fairy tale nonsense. I have zero mobile signal at home, despite EE web site telling me I have excellent coverage.

More important (to me), my elderly mum also has zero mobile coverage despite web site saying it's great.

So, in a power outage I would have absolutely no mechanism for comms whatsoever. Both my mum, and I are registered as 'vulnerable', so the best I'm hoping is that the deadline will keep being extended. The government (whatever flavour) has been totally duped by this supposed digital revolution, which needs a stable electric supply to work. In the same way they think we have capacity to supply a potential 37 Million ElectricCars with charging facilities.

The one thing my mum always told me was the amazing thing about common sense was, it's really not that common!

Here is an illustration of the blatant lies that mobile operators issue on their pretend coverage of my home in a semi rural area (so no high rise buildings, or trees etc which they say will disrupt signal). You don't need to understand the actual figures of signal strength, as there is a handy analogue gauge reading from red, to green!

EE actual v pretend WiFi hidden.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

@Richard670 

A digital landline compatible lifeline or panic button alarm itself will have an internal battery to allow it to continue working for a period of time.

The alarm will also be able to communicate with the alarm monitoring centre over the broadband connection via tha IP based voice service such as Digital Voice or may also have a backup mechanism such as over the mobile network. This means that if your broadband connection goes down in a powercut then your lifeline or panic button alarm will automatically switch over to the mobile network to communicate to the alarm monitoring centre.

If you have one of these devices then BT will offer you a battery backup or UPS device to allow your broadband connection to continue being powered for a period of time while you are in a powercut. 

Lifelines and panic button alarms should also have a heartbeat so that any issues and communication breakdowns between it as the alarm monitoring centre is raised to the alarm monitoring centre for them to investigate.

⚠️ It's important to make sure devices such as telecare, community alarms & health care devices are checked and compatible with the to digital landlines

💬 Speak to your care alarm provider to ensure compatibility & make sure your phoneline provider, e.g BT if they supply your phone service, is aware of the alarm.

More information: https://landlinesgo.digital/telecare-and-care-alarms/

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

@jac_95wrote:

@Richard670 

A digital landline compatible lifeline or panic button alarm itself will have an internal battery to allow it to continue working for a period of time.

If you have one of these devices then BT will offer you a battery backup or UPS device to allow your broadband connection to continue being powered for a period of time while you are in a powercut. 

On extensive discussions with BT, The 'battery pack' lasts for 2 hours. So, if you have a power outage at 2am, then wake up at 4am needing an ambulance, you are screwed! Oh, and as already stated, if you have no mobile network, once again, you are screwed...

This infrastructure change will cost lives, but nothing will be done till the 1st people go!

Message 15 of 21

So good to read this thread. I have been forced to digital voice and am so cross about how it has left me without any way of getting in touch with my elderly parent if there is a power cut. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

@Lilawrote:

So good to read this thread. I have been forced to digital voice and am so cross about how it has left me without any way of getting in touch with my elderly parent if there is a power cut. 

Sadly, once you have been converted, there is no way back. If it's not too late, stand your ground and REFUSE to be 'upgraded'!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

I tried but nobody would listen. What happens when I cancel my broadband with BT? 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

@Lilawrote:

I tried but nobody would listen. What happens when I cancel my broadband with BT? 

With regards to 'digital voice', even if you cancel BT, all future suppliers will also now put you on digital. The infrastructure to your house has now been irreversibly changed to 'digital'.  Shame you didn't ask here earlier. BT can not force a change if you can prove 'vulnerability' which caring for your elderly mum counts...

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

She doesn't live with me and to be honest I wasn't even aware of it happening until they told me it was imminent. I called and spoke with someone but it was on deaf ears. 

Does this mean any hub I get from anyone else will have to have the phone stuck into the back of it? 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Yes...

0 Ratings