cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Smart Hub 2 - Can it be used for ONLY for DECT digital voice phone ? (using own Router as Main)

Go to solution

I have recently ordered FTTP after an 18 year wait for decent Broadband.

Now its finally approaching install date (6th May) I have a concern that wasn't made clear upon purchase!

e.g. it's now my understanding (having read through these forums), that in order for the Digital phone (with Alexa) included , will only work if paired to the DECT base that's 'built-into' the SH2 ?  🙄  Well, that's not really an option since I am using my own Router (and have never used a BT HH or SH...ever) and I intend to keep it that way as I have too much time and effort built into my own GT-AX11000 Router... So, have i been mis-sold something that I now cannot use (fully as intended)? (as it seems i am now being held to ransom, that if i want a house phone...I MUST use a BT SH2..? 

I could see a workaround it if the SH2 had a "bridged mode"... then i could just use it as a dumb-modem and nothing more.... 

anyone know if this is achievable ?

thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - Can it be used for ONLY for DECT digital voice phone ? (using own Router as Mai

Go to solution

How would a bridge mode in the SH2 help, it would just act as a modem with no access to the IP layer for VoIP capability.

Your option is to take BT broadband only and use a third party VoIP provider with your third party router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - Can it be used for ONLY for DECT digital voice phone ? (using own Router as Mai

Go to solution

@xlr8r 

It is possible to use the SH2 as the device connected to the ONT and then connect your router to the SH2 , using that as the main device.

@licquoricepointed me to this thread , specifically message 88 when I was trying to emulate the above. Maybe specific to me as I have Asus devices but should give you some pointers.

This is the other info he gave me:-

I would suggest the best option would be to disable wifi and DHCP on the BT hub and connect the the Asus WAN port to one of the hub LAN ports. You will be double natting, but the Asus will be doing everything it does now. Give the ASUS WAN port an address of, say, 192.168.1.10 and set its LAN DHCP range to 192.168.2.xxx. If the ASUS default range is the same as the hub range 192.168.1.xxx currently (I don't know what the ASUS default range is) and you want to keep that range for your devices, you can change the hub to use 192.168.2.xxx and give the ASUS WAN port an address of 192.168.2.10 and leave its DHCP range as now.

I'm taking no credit for this so all thanks - if it helps - should go to @licquorice 

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I connect my own router to the SH2 and all my devices connect to my router. Double natting but doesn’t cause me any problems. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

cheers TimCurtis

yes, i had indeed spotted that post you mention but ultimately was hoping someone knew a way to avoid the double natting. (i.e. a hidden SH2 routing menu perhaps, like I had been reading about on earlier versions...? (no doubt this has been eliminated since SH2 was released?).

But .... if it doesnt cause much upset to my network, maybe giving the SH2 a shot, is worth a go at least.

...and maybe , just maybe....one day the Digital Phone will be able to work without the SH2.... 

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry to jump on someone else's post. I'm however facing the same problem. "Double Netting" isn't an option as the 3rd Party Router is providing VPN services.

As far as I'm aware the service is just standard VOIP isn't it? Would it not be possible to purchase a 3rd party handset such as the Yealink W52P and then connect that to the BT service?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Short answer is no. BT DV requires the smart hub to be connected directly to the ONT. 

You can of course use another VOIP service. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@eisteddfod_37 wrote:

As far as I'm aware the service is just standard VOIP isn't it? Would it not be possible to purchase a 3rd party handset such as the Yealink W52P and then connect that to the BT service?

No. it isn't standard VoIP, its a proprietary BT system which can only be accessed by the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Doesn’t turning off DHCP solve for double natting (genuine question - I don’t know the answer - this is not me making a point with a rhetorical question)?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

No

0 Ratings