cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 31

Re: BT stopping Phone Landline use!

@Johnoo wrote:

Thanks, as I have a new Panasonic cordless phone with answerphone think I will plug the base station of this into the adapter in the electric socket.-- have i got this correct?

Yes, you can do that but you could also plug it directly into the hub if it is more convenient.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 31

Thanks, but not convenient as Hub is in Study & main phone in Kitchen with just an extension phone in Study connected to Hub, which is connected to Master phone socket

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 31

My brother in law will have problems when copper disappears, he has one phone plugged into the master socket in the hall, no mains plug anywhere near. He does not have or want a mobile or internet.

He will see no reason why the phone should not just keep working and will expect BT to sort it out, not that he will be able to contact them if his phone does not work.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 31

@Bob1001 wrote:

My brother in law will have problems when copper disappears, he has one phone plugged into the master socket in the hall, no mains plug anywhere near. He does not have or want a mobile or internet.

He will see no reason why the phone should not just keep working and will expect BT to sort it out, not that he will be able to contact them if his phone does not work.

It will be a pity if his brother in law couldn't advise him of the impending change over and assist him when the time comes.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 31

Would somebody, in plain English please explain why BT are to do this work?

Must be costing millions, so what is the gain?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 31

Its not just BT.

See https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 31

@Johnoo wrote:

As well as the old copper system costing millions to maintain it is to upgrade to a more reliable and cost effective system in the same way as we no longer use analogue TVs or analogue radios or dial up broadband or steam trains or passengers ships when you want to cross the Atlantic and loads of other things that have changed over the years.

Message 18 of 31

@gg30340  I think you miss the point, there must be many like him. Yes of course I will help but from what I can understand it will not be straight forward.

I believe BT will provide an broadband hub (internet disabled) or some sort of adapter.

PROBLEM

No mains near master socket and to provide a socket there requires paying an electrician to install a new socket, I am capable of doing it but not allowed to as it is covered by part P of the wiring regulations.

OR

Have a trailing mains lead again not practical as it would have to go through to door ways.

OR

Provide an extension phone socket, I could do that BUT he likes the phone in the hall as I have offered to put in additional sockets for him in the past.

SO

What seems easy in practice is not, if there was a mains socket I am sure he could have followed the instructions that hopefully came with the hub/adapter but the "upgrade" does seem to involve considerable expense.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 31

@gg30340 wrote:

@Johnoo wrote:

As well as the old copper system costing millions to maintain it is to upgrade to a more reliable and cost effective system in the same way as we no longer use analogue TVs or analogue radios or dial up broadband or steam trains or passengers ships when you want to cross the Atlantic and loads of other things that have changed over the years.

I do miss the horses and carts though. My rhubarb's not a patch on what it used to be.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 20 of 31

@pottyperson  Where do I click for "not helpful"

0 Ratings