cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Call Protect causing distress - unable to remove online!

I have Call Protect but want to remove it as my GP is unable to contact me and I urgently need the GP to get through to me as I am prone to falls and they are checking I am ok.  I have been online and there is no option to remove Call Protect - only to manage it but that is not what I want to do. I just want to remove Call Protect as people are complaining that they cannot contact me - I am being asked to press 1 and they have to say their name.  It is getting really distressing.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Call Protect causing distress - unable to remove online!

What you describe sounds more like Call Guardian on your handset(s) rather than Call Protect. As far as I know Call Protect has no option to screen calls as you suggest you're getting, it can only allow or block numbers in a limited way. Check you handsets menu for an option called Call Control > BT Call Guardian > Guardian Settings > On/Off. That's how it appears on my BT 8500 but your model may be slightly different.

But also check the Call Protect Manage option online. At the bottom of the page is an option to Manage Blacklist. Check in there  that you're allowing calls from withheld numbers.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thank you - will check the handset.  There are no blacklisted numbers on Call Protect but still want to remove this too.

May end up having to buy a new phone handset and switch provider to get rid of the problem as this is the final straw.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@GRETAVwrote:

May end up having to buy a new phone handset and switch provider to get rid of the problem as this is the final straw.

I sincerely doubt you'll need to do either. If you go to Manage Call Protect  you'll see these options:

rbz5416_0-1662633274376.png

Blacklist are numbers that either you (possibly inadvertently) or BT have identified as unwanted. If you want to let them through anyway then just untick that box. GP surgeries typically withhold their number so as said, you need to make sure that option is also ticked. If International Calls is also ticked then although Call Protect can't be switched off as such, it will be doing nothing.

But again as I said, Call Protect, & therefore BT, cannot be intercepting callers & asking them to identify themselves. That is a function of Call Guardian on BT handsets or whatever it may be called by other manufacturers. Again up to you but there really shouldn't be any need to turn that off. In the early days many callers would be thrown by the message as it was new, so they would just hang up. If your surgery is doing that then you need to challenge them.

Message 5 of 6

Thank you for your response but those options are greyed out on the online dashboard.  

Wanting to turn off the Guard Protect as it seems that none of the callers that I do want to hear from like leaving their name - not ideal but causing real anxiety.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

No idea why the Call Protect options would be greyed out. Maybe check that you are listed as the account holder rather than a manager on MyBT. Otherwise maybe a Mod can assist.

But as already said, Call Protect isn't the issue that you're describing. That's a function of your handsets.

0 Ratings