cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 171 of 181

Re: Call Protect - last call number not showing

Another call from a scammer this morning.

01727326XXX

Using BT 1572 got the usual "The number is unrecognisable" 

So had to logon to MyBT and Add the Number manually to my personal blocklist

When I do get unsolicited calls I always google it........

This number is operated by Twilio Ireland Limited and is primarily associated with an energy scam activity. While its dialling code associates it with St Albans, England, it utilises VoIP technology. As a result, the actual location of the caller cannot be determined.

The overall user rating for this number is Negative . The number 01727 326 XXX has been looked up 116 times, leading to 10 user comments that have helped form a clearer picture of the caller's intent.

Given VoIP now, it is impossible to locate scam callers so BT should, as I've said before, allow you to block "unrecognisable call"

We live in hope.

0 Ratings
Message 172 of 181

I am having the same problem - I get calls purporting to be from, say, Microsoft about a problem on a computer, but when I go into Call Protect to block the number the call isn't in the list of received calls.

0 Ratings
Message 173 of 181

Hi Paul,

Then you have to add the number manually to call protect when it is not shown in the "Last Number" list. 

Often, the scam numbers are what BT describe as  "unrecognisable", in which case, you can still add them manually to the Call Protect List. 

Hope this helps.

Message 174 of 181

Interesting that My BT online and Lloyds Bank online are experiencing problems both since 7am

Reason I know this is because I got another scam call this morning at 9:15. 
I used 1572 from my phone for  BT to tell me "we are experiencing technical issues, Goodbye"

However, I was able to logon to MyBT and add the last caller (which was not in the recent calls list) to my personal block list.

There was a BT message on the screen that my personal details could not be retrieved at the moment.

MichaelB007_0-1725269322819.png
Lloyds Bank problems

MichaelB007_1-1725269398736.png

I know that BT are paramount in controlling the Internet from their server farm in London.

Is this, I wonder,  a Monday morning thing..... 

0 Ratings
Message 175 of 181

Hi @MichaelB007 @PaulBrownsey 

Thanks for letting us know. 

I have sent you a private message for some details. 

Leanne.

0 Ratings
Message 176 of 181

Hi All, 

In the continuing absence of anything coming from BT about this I just wanted to say that of the last 10 calls I have received Call Protect did not register 7 of them. I was able to manually add them to my Blocklist which is a faff but I suppose better than nothing.

Clearly the scammers are finding ways to avoid detection by facilities like Call Protect but I do wonder why, if I can block them, why does Call Protect not detect them?

0 Ratings
Message 177 of 181

Hi Swatty & Clarkatron,

Apologies for this late update.

I received a private message from BT regarding my posts about Call Protect.
After giving them my private details (Account No. & Name) they asked could I give specific details to pass on to the team that supports CP.  This was on 03-09-2024

So, told them, this has been going on since April 24 and if they care to read the posts “ Call Protect - last call number not showing” then will get a general idea of the issues, nevertheless, I provided a concise list of the main issues.

I see three main issues (there may be more) but I didn’t want to swamp them with nice to haves.

Basically, there are three issues with Call Protect.

Issue 1.
Perfect example of why Call Protect not dealing with spam.
Received call from this number 01904935xxx  (must not use real phone numbers)

Using 1572 entered 1  but BT said number is unrecognisable and should use option 3 from person settings to send unrecognisable numbers to your junk voicemail
So, using 1572 went to Personal settings option 3

All is offers for sending incoming calls to your Junk voicemail is
Option 1 “Withheld numbers” or  option 2 “International numbers”
DOES NOT OFFER SENDING unrecognisable calls to junk voicemail!

So, BT message is totally wrong. Why oh why DO YOU NOT TEST YOUR SOFTWARE

Issue 2
09-08-2024 11h02 - edited ‎09-08-2024 11h08

Message 146 of 175

1, Receive unknown call & don't answer
2. Call 1572 and BT asks do you wish to add the last number called to your block list? 
3. Press '1' to have this number added to my block list
4. BT then says "Sorry, the last number called is unrecognisable"

Using my mobile (with Show Caller ID switched off) I called the number
It doesn't connect and the line hangs up.

I guess the number is spoofed so BT is correct, but what if the scammers call me again using the SAME spoofed number, BT will let it through. 

It is well know that scammers used spoofed numbers anyway. The fact that the Called ID gets recorded on my handset and BT 1471 will correctly read out the number means BT is aware of the number, so Call Protect is useless in this context.

The change that BT could make to the program code is
When you use 1572 and select "1" to add last number to your personal block list, the program code checks is the last number received a genuine phone number - BT should comment off that code, so any received number (regardless has it been added to the recent calls list or not) will be added to you block list.

Issues 3

Often, BT does NOT store the last number received (even genuine numbers).  From posts, this is commonplace.  

Cheers, Michaelb007

0 Ratings
Message 178 of 181

Hi Swatty & Clarkatron,

Apologies for this update.

I received a private message from BT regarding my posts about Call Protect.
After giving them my private details (Account No. & Name) they ask could I give specific details to pass on to the team that supports CP.  This was on 03-09-2024

So, told them, this has been going on since April 24 and if the care to read the posts “Call Protect - last call number not showing” then will get a general idea of the issues, nevertheless, I proved a concise list of the issues.

I see three main issues (there may be more) but I didn’t want to swamp them with nice to haves.

0 Ratings
Message 179 of 181

Hi swatty,

Just tried to reply to you but BT rejected my post as, wait for it, "SPAM".

Couldn't make that up..

0 Ratings
Message 180 of 181

Basically, got private messages from BT and responded (privately) on 03 Sept regarding Call Protect issues. 

0 Ratings