cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Call barring for vulnerable customer

Go to solution

My father is 86 has vascular dementia, is housebound and is registered blind. He lives alone and the phone is his only form of communication. He recently had a mini stroke and is struggling using the phone. He still remembers what number to call to contact me but has started pressing 123 in an effort to locate the first number he needs to dial as even with a door handset with large numbers he can’t see it. This has led to multiple charges for calling speaking clock. So far 23 calls to 123 in 8 days. I have contacted BT on three separate occasions to ask if the number can be blocked and twice have been told it has been resolved but the charges are still being added to his bill. How can I get this resolved please?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Call barring for vulnerable customer

Go to solution

@Sellis 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

BT do have a network based solution which only allows a restricted number of numbers that can be called.

I cannot remember what it is called, but I am sure one of the moderators will remember.

I will ask one to post here.

I did find some information from 2018.

"BT have a team in place who can get calls to directory enquiries 118 and the speaking clock 123 blocked at network level.  This team reach out to Openreach and the calls are blocked there which is pretty robust.  This team are known as the Inclusions (formerly Age and Disability) team and can be reached on 0800 919591."

I think this number may still be current, as its referred to by many support websites, so I would try giving them a call.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Sellis , welcome to the forum and sorry that your father has vascular dementia. 
The service @Keith_Beddoe  mentions is called Network Controlled Calling. This service limits the customer to being able to call up to 10 numbers from their home phone line.
It won't be suitable if they often call more than 10 numbers or if any of the numbers need changing frequently. 
I'm not sure about if number Keith has quoted is still valid but if you don't get them on that number please call 0330 1234 150 and the advisor should transfer you to the life events team, who deal with these scenarios, to check and order it if it's suitable.
Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you both for the information. I will try again. I will ask to be transferred to the life events team

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi John,

Does the "Life Events team" still exist? I phoned BT switchboard this morning and was told it was only for bereavements.

I have the same problem - my father with vascular dementia phoning some companies several times a day. I wish to restrict his outbound calls to 10 numbers or so, but I have no idea how to do it.

No help from BT so far - told me it wasn't possible.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi south sky

I solved the same problem you have, by buying my father a Philips D630 DECT phone. I think they are obsolete now but some showing available on eBay, where I got my fathers. It can block up to 10 numbers I think, and has worked a treat. There may be other similar phones available.

Cheers Russell.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @south_sky, I'm sorry that you weren't transferred to the Life Events team when you called. The team deal with other scenarios as well as bereavement cases such as Power of Attorney (POA) and Network Control Calling.

Are you registered for POA for the customer and if so have you registered that with us?

Cheers

John 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
No worries. Yes I am the registered POA. I am also the "account manager". I just wanted to see if this might be possible.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @south_sky, thanks for confirming that as it will help speed things up for you. You can call the team on 0800 169 1663 directly. The hours are Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm, Sat 8am - 8pm, Sun 8am - 8pm.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings