cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

Caller ID not working with Digital Voice Adapter

Caller ID is working with the phone socket at the back of the hub but is not working through the Digital Voice Adapter

Any advice please? 

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: Caller ID not working with Digital Voice Adapter

do you have DV phones connected to hub?  does the phone connected to adapter ring just no caller ID?  does caller ID work on the phone connected to adapter if connected to socket on rear of hub?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 29

@Stevek1311 wrote:

Caller ID is working with the phone socket at the back of the hub but is not working through the Digital Voice Adapter

Any advice please? 

I wonder if its supposed to work, as caller ID is normally sent as a tone burst just before the first ringing current. Unless the DV adapter can replicate this signal, its never going to work.

The home hub must emulate this in firmware, but it may not be sent over DECT in a format that the DV adapter can replicate, but the BT DV handsets can.

Which model of phone are you using?

Message 4 of 29

@imjollywrote:

do you have DV phones connected to hub?  does the phone connected to adapter ring just no caller ID?  does caller ID work on the phone connected to adapter if connected to socket on rear of hub?

Need to be careful here about the word 'connected'  So I'll be a bit pedantic:

• No phones are wirelessly connected to the hub
  • An old tech analogue answer phone is connected to the phone socket on the back of the hub - and Caller ID works for that
  • A cordless phone hub is plugged into a Digital Voice Adapter - and Caller ID works very occasionally however when same was plugged into the back of the hub Caller ID worked fine

So I think Keith is right on this - just about to reply to him

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

Any advice please? 

I wonder if its supposed to work, as caller ID is normally sent as a tone burst just before the first ringing current. Unless the DV adapter can replicate this signal, its never going to work.

The home hub must emulate this in firmware, but it may not be sent over DECT in a format that the DV adapter can replicate, but the BT DV handsets can.

Which model of phone are you using?

The phone I'm using on the DVA is a BT6510 quad cordless digital phone.  But as per reply above it worked perfectly when connected to the phone socket on the hub so I think the model number is irrelevant

So I'm thinking you're right that the DVA may be incapable of reliably supporting Caller ID.  But if that's the case a significant part of the house of cards that is Digital Voice roll out is in trouble as the DVA is the supposed solution for houses where hub location is not appropriate for phone use.  

Now I know I could just use a two way adapter into the socket on the back of the hub but then I lose:

a) one of the supposed benefits of Digital Voice (the two lines)

b) the ability to replicate the phone extension sockets that I'd paid for but were cut off by Digital Voice

I'm not prepared to accept any outcome that doesn't have Caller ID working on all my phones.

I'm thinking BT may not have got the DVA design right.  Would be good if a BT person could give a clear answer that yes it does or no it does not support Caller ID.  If they say the first then I have a faulty one they can replace but if they say the latter then I'm back to arguing with them about imposing DV on me.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

. . .The home hub must emulate this in firmware, but it may not be sent over DECT in a format that the DV adapter can replicate, but the BT DV handsets can. . . 

I don't think the DVA connects to the hub over DECT.  I believe it's pure wireless as you use the WPS button on the hub to link it

Full guide https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/user-guides/Digital-Voice-Adapter-userguide.pdf 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

@Stevek1311 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

. . .The home hub must emulate this in firmware, but it may not be sent over DECT in a format that the DV adapter can replicate, but the BT DV handsets can. . . 

I don't think the DVA connects to the hub over DECT.  I believe it's pure wireless as you use the WPS button on the hub to link it

Full guide https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/user-guides/Digital-Voice-Adapter-userguide.pdf 

Its DECT, the WPS button is dual purpose, this has been raised many times before.

I think the truth is that BT would  rather you use their special DV handsets which do handle the CLI correctly.

The DV adapter is a simple solution for many older users with basic wired phones which do not support caller ID anyway.

Message 8 of 29

Thanks Keith, so DECT it is.  Of course DECT is capable of transferring Called ID as it does from cordless hub to handset

Whatever, it's still an issue if BT don't have a Caller ID solution away from the hub for existing phones.   Let's see if they comment here on whether the Digital Voice Adapter does support Caller ID or not.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 29

@Stevek1311 wrote:

Thanks Keith, so DECT it is.  Of course DECT is capable of transferring Called ID as it does from cordless hub to handset

Whatever, it's still an issue if BT don't have a Caller ID solution away from the hub for existing phones.   Let's see if they comment here on whether the Digital Voice Adapter does support Caller ID or not.

It may not have the hardware/firmware to present the correct conditions (1200 Baud FSK data burst) , prior to ringing, for the phone to interpret.

If you had a pair of headphones with a capacitor to block the DC, you could listen to see if you could hear the tone burst when a call comes in. Its very short, but very distinctive.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

If caller ID works sometimes with adapter can you try  on a DV phone going to settings,phone settings,line settings,call settings and then change call mode from multi to single and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.