cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Can BT supply an analogue landline connected to the Exchange?

Hi all.  My in-laws have a broadband and digital landline service from a different company.  We are having challenges with this service, especially during some recent power cuts.  Being of an older generation, their mobile phones are never charged and are stuffed somewhere at the back of a drawer, despite being asked to keep them charged and keep them handy.

Anyway.  We need a phone line supplier who can offer a proper 50v analogue landline straight to the local exchange, instead of having the phone plug into a VoIP service.

Can this be done?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can BT supply an analogue landline connected to the Exchange?

Extremely unlikely. It would only be temporary in any case as the PSTN will be switched off by 2025 for all providers.

Message 3 of 7

Possibly, but it will only be a short-term fix as the analogue phone lines are due to be fully shut down by 2025. A better solution may be a desktop type GSM phone that doesn't need charging. You'd need to make sure that it either has it's own battery backup or provide one. Also that it's 4G compatible as 3G is also on the way out.

Message 4 of 7

@horrgakx 

From 5th September 2023 any changes (e.g renewals or changes to packages) along with any new supply such as changing provider and where a phone service is being supplied will require the phone service to be delivered via the Internet based system (VoIP) such as BT's own BT Digital Voice.

However, there are solutions to allow calls to be made when there's a powercut such as using a UPS/Battery Backup device. BT are also looking into a new set of hybrid phones that can fallback to the mobile network (sure some more details will appear soon).

See https://landlinesgo.digital/powercut for more info

BT Consumer is also expected to restart their customer migrations to Digital Voice this Spring 2023: https://newsroom.bt.com/getting-digital-voice-right-for-our-customers/

Message 5 of 7

You could consider getting a mobile phone wall mount and place it near to an electrical outlet and place their mobile phone into it, turned on and connected to the charger. 

Mobile Phones are "intelligent" and can not be over charged and will just trickle charge when needed to top up the charge. It won't use much electricity to do this.

In the event of a power cut the mobile phone will be fully charged and ready to use for as long as the battery lasts, which hopefully will be longer than the power cut.

You can get one on Amazon for a few pounds.  If you do a search "Wall Mount Phone Holder Stand" you should be able to locate one.

Message 6 of 7

Excellent suggestion from gg30340.

Facing the same myself...aren't we all by 2025.

Anyway, hardly use the landline these days so thinking about pulling it altogether when the time comes. Solution...mobile plugged into a 24/7 timer, (when it's not out and about on my person), set to charge for an hour 2/3 times a week. Should mean it's there when it's needed. Just a matter of getting into the habit of connecting it to the charger when I come back. (Of course, assumes you have a decent signal where you are).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks everyone for the info - I didn't realise PSTN was being phased out either.

0 Ratings