cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Can't keep phone number - Digital Voice

I placed an order for Full Fibre and Digital Voice at the beginning of the month after BT emailed saying Full Fibre is now available in my area.   The order, placed by BT agents, kept being rejected by the engineers due to some kind of issue with my landline but the Manager I've been passed to can't tell me the issue other than to say "it's complicated."

Apparently, the only way I can get Digital Voice is to change my phone number completely as the cabinet supplying the Digital Voice  is 3.3 miles away from my home but in a different Town & crosses in to a completely different County.  I was told this will effect all the other properties in my location too when they upgrade their BT package (doing now as my contract expires in July).  

Is it REALLY not possible for me to retain a phone number that is, at least, associated to the Town & County I live in? 

I will change number if I really have to (multi generation family so I will struggle to get my 87 year old father-in-law to understand/remember his new phone number though but the option of 2 people being on the phone at the same time is a huge benefit for our home set-up) but I would, at a minimum, like to keep a number that is associated to my home Town.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can't keep phone number - Digital Voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Neither Digital Voice or Full Fibre is delivered from a cabinet. There should be no reason why you can't keep your number.

I will ask if one of the mods can take a look.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Thank you @licquorice, that would be greatly appreciated

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

It can happen when the FTTP is routed from another exchange than your current PSTN is connected to, which is why the number element gets issues.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

No idea why, Digital Voice is virtual and not tied to an exchange numbering scheme like analogue surely.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

No idea why, Digital Voice is virtual and not tied to an exchange numbering scheme like analogue surely.

The exchange that provides the FTTP is not always the same exchange that provides the FTTC/ADSL, the order to move from PSTN to DV would need done before the FTTP upgrade otherwise the migration can fail, it doesn't happen often but when it does it's more work to complete.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I fail to see why the physical location of the exchange is relevant to a VOIP number.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @PeaceKeeperMum ,

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear of difficulties you're having with Digital Voice.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thank you

MandyF