cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Compatibility of DECT phones with digital voice

Forgive me if this has been asked already but I’ve searched with no results.

Is there a list of phones known to be compatible with digital voice? 

I’ve had an email today saying my line will be converted next week to digital voice. I’ve ordered an adapter as my router is in a spare bedroom with printer and NAS connected to it. My landline phone with answer machine is in the lounge and I wish to keep it there.

My phone is a BT Synergy with three additional handsets. 

I understand some phones won’t ring and require a filter. Is this the same as a broadband filter ? 

Has anyone with digital voice any experience with these handsets or know of a list of compatible phones ?

Many Thanks 

Mike 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Compatibility of DECT phones with digital voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Yes, it is just a normal ADSL filter which will create the extra ring wire for older phones.

I doubt you will find a definitive list of devices that do and don't work but I suspect your Synergy system will be fine.

I have never quite understood why cordless phone base stations need to be in a particular location. Surely that's the whole point of cordless, the base station can be anywhere and the handsets portable.

Message 4 of 10

@MJP 

You should not have any issues with that DECT phone system as its fairly modern. Older phones which use a separate "ring" wire, need a microfilter to emulate the missing wire.

Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the quick response. 

In my case I keep the base station in the lounge because it has an answer phone capability and I don’t always go into the spare room where my hub is kept so could miss out on seeing I’ve a message. I also don’t have a convenient mains socket free, having two printers a NAS and the hub plugged into the existing sockets. I could use extension leads or get another outlet fitted, but it’s easier and more convenient to keep my existing setup

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Fair enough, my handsets indicate if there is a message, no need to look at the base station. I thought that was a standard feature, perhaps not.

Message 7 of 10

My handset has a clock face normally, the base station has a digital display with number of messages. 
There is a small icon on the display when the phone is ‘awake’ but it means picking the phone up to check. Easier to just glance at the base station display ! 

Message 8 of 10

@MJP     How did your change go  did your phone work ok with or without an adapter?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Yes all worked fine with the adapter.
Though some teething troubles with my landline being engaged so unable to dial out but still able to take calls.

BT support eventually sorted it saying there was either a glitch or spam calls not releasing the line .
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Portable yes but people like to return it to the base for charging although the instructions always say that occasionally one should leave the handset off the charging base and not have it continually charging - bad for Ni-MH batteries apparently.
0 Ratings