cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Concern over upcoming DV and current router setup.

At the moment my router, (TPLink), is connected to the master socket via an extension cable, so that the router and its power supply are at a distance from the master socket. My computer(s) are then connected via ethernet rather than wifi.

When DV arrives I assume that the old master socket, (old style with single socket front plate), will be disconnected and a new one fitted, which can then be connected to my existing extension sockets and router, as noted above.

My particular concern atm is how to manage the change as the entry point for the telephone cable is into an area without easy access to a power supply. Provision of a power socket in the area, hallway, is problematic and may need an extension cable of some sort rather than a hard wired socket which would be difficult to achieve.

What are the best ideas to plan for this event?

Can we retain our internal setup?

Will we need new digital compatible phones for each extension and so on.

Would the exiting plug-in filters be need?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Alan
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Concern over upcoming DV and current router setup.

@Alanrf 

You will need to use the BT Smart Hub 2 connected directly to your broadband connection, to be able to use BT Digital Voice. Nothing else is supported or will work.

You can plug in existing phones into the phone socket on the Smart Hub 2, or extend that socket to your own internal phone wiring.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

are you upgrading to FTTP?  if you move to DV then you will need to use the SH2 and DV will not work with your TPlink

if FTTP and DV then existing sockets are not needed,  There are numerous post about DV and making slight change to wiring to get use of current extension sockets

normally you would get a free phone from BT for DV

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the responses.

As I currently understand things, if I need a new router before FTTP eventuates here, (from the pole in the next 12 months, I am advised), then it would better to invest in a SH2 for future compatibility.

To provide some extra clarification, I understand that when DV arrives, (if not at the same time), I can plug a DV unit into the ONT and, presumably another one, (which I would need to purchase), into the SH2, which will be in a different location.

If this is the case then there would be no need for my current internal extension sockets.  (My Sky HD+box outlet has never been needed; I believe their initial requirement for a phone connection has long ago been rescinded anyway.)

Out of interest, is it possible to add further DV units, presumably via the SH2, should I feel the need?

Thanks for you previous help and interest - much appreciated.

Alan
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

you cannot connect your phone to the ONT.  your DV is via the SH2 which is the dect base station for your phones.  you can if you want purchase additional DV handsets if required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

The SH2 is simply a DECT base station as well as a broadband router, nothing is plugged into the ONT.

BT will supply either 2 basic or 1 advanced phone which simply pair to the hub as would any cordless (DECT) phone pair to their base station.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

But, as I understand it, the BT ONT has the following ports

Openreach modem ports

Optical: This hosts the fibre optic cable that comes from the exchange to your house.
PORT 1: Here you plug in an Ethernet cable that runs to your BT Hub. Some modems have multiple ports.
TEL 1: Digital voice customers can use this to plug in a telephone.
BBU: This port attaches to the battery back-up unit, if there is one.
DC: Depending on your modem, this connects to the power supply or the BBU unit

(see https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont)

That seems to imply, (to me at least), that the SH2 is connected to FTTP via the ONT, (or why PORT 1?) and that you can connect a DV phone via TEL 1.

Are you saying that the BT information is incorrect?

Alan
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

you connect the SH2 to the ONT but the ONT is no longer used to provide the phione service being superseded by DV using the SH2 as dect base station  the information you posted is out of date - there is no additional power supply either

Message 9 of 9

The connection on the ONT was previously used for FVA (Fibre Voice Access) this is no longer in use and has been superseded by Digital Voice.

0 Ratings