Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 38

Re: Digital Voice - How to connect existing phones

@Bob1001 wrote:

(probably have everything I need in my GPO Gladstone bag)

😄 I've still got mine as well.

Paul608085
Expert
Message 32 of 38

"GPO Gladstone Bag"

Were they the brown leather ones that you would keep your "81s" and "butt" in?  😀

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Expert
Message 33 of 38

@Paul608085  That is the one, I have my ratchet & tongs in mine. I still use my 81s.

When I jumped through the "window of opportunity" MERS I bought the contents of my office (a computer, mobile phone, etc etc) and all the tools in my possession for £5, Best deal ever  from BT.

0 Ratings
Paul608085
Expert
Message 34 of 38

I don't remember "ratchet & tongs" - what were they? (I joined BT in 1981, so maybe from before then?).

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Expert
Message 35 of 38

@Paul608085  They were used for tensioning OH bare copper (well cadmium copper) wires. I got them as part of the kit when I joined in 1961 as a Y2YC and progressed downhill from there.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 38

Have you still got your centre twist and some copper sleeves as well?

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Expert
Message 37 of 38

@licquoriceYes and probably enough kit to maintain a CB, CBS, Strowger, crossbar or TXE2 exchange and a heap of thermistors and heat  coils, I still have a couple of reels of propper lead solder.

My best job was mixed maintenance where I had a complete patch, subscribers plus the exchange the only thing I did not dabble with was underground although I did do the course on joining fibre optic cable, and made a nice lamp using a cable off cut.

Message 38 of 38

good to read some humour.

I'm on to a call centre for help, currently waitng44 mins, 56 mins predicted.....don't know how a DV handset would handle this. It's good old cordless phone in use, plugged in to SH2.

0 Ratings