cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Digital Voice (No Voice)

We have experienced a number of failed attempts of BT trying to connect us to Digital Voice.  This was not a problem until such time as our analogue landline was cut off without the Digital Voice being connected.   So......we now find we are completely without a landline.  Have made several mobile calls to BT and this morning have been advised to ring again in 5 working days to find out what's going on.  Why cut the old landline off before making sure the new digital is up and running?  It surely makes sense to have a crossover period where you have both rather than nothing at all.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Digital Voice (No Voice)

@MrChristopher wrote:

Why cut the old landline off before making sure the new digital is up and running?  It surely makes sense to have a crossover period where you have both rather than nothing at all.

The Digital Voice and the analogue systems are two completely different systems and it would not be possible for your phone number to be used on both systems at the same time.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

That makes sense.  Still frustrating to think the old system has been cut and the new Digital Voice is not up and running and little chance for a week at least.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Is this as straightforward as your post suggests , that your line was working on PSTN  as long established BT customer, with a phone number always provided by BT , that has never been ported out and returned to BT from other providers , and you either already had a SH2 router , or were supplied with one ready for DV , and on the day you were told the change to DV was to take place , you moved your phone to the router socket from the copper NTE socket  ( or you used the phone BT supplied ) but nothing , no DV dialtone , no incoming or outgoing calls possible via the router , but to add insult to injury the old ‘master socket ‘ service ceased working  ?,

or is there more to it ?

What does the SH2 show for the DV service status , does it say configured , or is the relevant box still greyed out ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

It is as you say.  We have been with BT seamlessly since moving to the house back in 2008.  Please excuse my ignorance on some of your technical talk and abbreviations but can confirm our old analogue landline is dead and our phone is plugged in the the new router.  Our broadband is fine but no connection to DV for the phone.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Just checked out SH2 status and it is greyed out saying Not Configured
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Try a factory reset of the hub by pressing the recessed button with a pin for about 20 seconds until the lights flash.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

It does seem odd , it’s of no comfort to you , but most migrations to DV are fine , it would be odd if BT advised that you were going into DV when your area wasn’t in the program for DV , if the broadband service is ready to offer DV then I cannot understand why it’s taking so long , my suspicion is that your PSTN phone number was ceased independently  of your DV  migration order and now it’s proving difficult to get your phone number ( that’s effectively ceased )  onto the IP platform, chances are if you wanted any old number it wouldn’t be taking as long ,but obviously I couldn’t say for certain.

If the BT Mod offers help , I would accept , they could chase this on your behalf .

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Interestingly enough the lovely lady at BT, she really was very understanding, did make mention of it could be a number problem. She did however go on to say she couldn't be sure and didn't have a way of checking. In the same conversation she mentioned that if it were a number problem they might connect with a completely new number and then within 24 hours transfer it over to our existing/original number that has been at the house for 45 years. I really do hope so and don't want to lose the number that everyone is aware of and amounts to several hundred contacts.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Did you try a factory reset of the hub?

0 Ratings